Prince Harry has not yet asked his brother to be his best man, the Duke of Cambridge disclosed tonight as he joked he is “still working” on the diary clash that sees the Royal wedding on the same day as the FA Cup final.The Duke, who is widely expected to perform best man duties at his younger brother’s wedding to Meghan Markle in May, said he had not been officially invited to step up to the role, as he joined a discussion of what makes a “best man”.Asked by footballer Rio Ferdinand about an awkward clash of dates on May 19 which meant the Duke is likely to miss the football, he replied he was “trying to see what I can do” about the situation.The Duke was invited to join a group discussion at the Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM), a charity aimed at preventing male suicide through open discussion which has recently launched a “Best Man Project” celebrating men’s friendship.Roman Kemp, compering, highlighted the Duke’s own role as best man in the coming months. Arguing men can be the worst for opening up, he added: “We’ve got to break that down where it’s ok to talk. Sons, fathers, it’s ok to have that chat. The footballer Rio Ferdinand also joined in the discussion with the DukeCredit:@KensingtonRoyal/Twitter Prince William says he hasn’t been asked to be best man for Prince Harry yet, and will see what he can do re Wembley wedding clash pic.twitter.com/jPCw8zHuug— Hannah Furness (@Hannah_Furness) January 10, 2018 “Someone’s got to be the brave one and take the first step. Say I’m putting it out there: that upset me, or that pissed me off. You’ve got to take that initial step to bring that conversation to a head.”CALM is one of the key charity partners of Heads Together, the campaign led by The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry. Of his own approach to discussing his feelings, following his mother’s death, the Duke continued: “Personally I didn’t want to be a burden. So I knew that if I trapped this inside and it got worse, and inevitably I would get worse in the future and I’d be a burden to my friends and family.”I didn’t want that for my life. I didn’t want the traumatic moment that happened to me to then affect me for the rest of my life and I knew my mother wouldn’t want that for me either.”So I actively went around dealing with it. Talking about it.” CALM recently launched the ‘Best Man Project’ to promote the idea that men do not have to wait until a wedding to prove they are a great friend, encouraging them to be proactive in looking out for their mental health. CALM said: “Being a best man is an honour. The charity is particularly focused on services for men in crisis or distress, in an age where suicide is the single biggest killer of men under the age of 45 in the UK. The Duke has previously spoken of being called to a suicide on his first shift as an air ambulance pilot, and how it has informed his charity work since.Their long-term campaigning is directed at bringing about a culture change to “redefine and open up masculinity, so that over time fewer men will need support at crisis point”. Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily Front Page newsletter and new audio briefings. “Our relationship is closer than it’s been because of the situation we’ve been through,” he said. “Losing our mother at a young age, it’s helped us travel through that difficult patch together. You’re like-minded. You go through similar things, it’s a bond and it’s something you know you’ve tackled together and come out better for it.”That’s the thing about being a best mate, inevitable one of you is sometimes on an up while the other is on a down.”You’re always there for each other and repaying that favour.” “Being a best man is often a shining example of what it means to be a great mate. “From the moment they’re asked, many men display exemplary behaviour – from planning the stag do, to carrying the rings and engineering the laughs while reminiscing to a room full of people.”At CALM, we’re of the belief that you don’t need a wedding to be a best man. In fact you can be a best man all though your life.” Laughing, he replied: “He hasn’t asked me yet, just to clear that up. It could be a sensitive subject.”The Duke went on to speak about his relationship with his brother, emphasising the importance of men speaking openly to one another about their emotions. Prince Harry and Meghan will marry in May on the same day as the FA Cup finalCredit:Max Mumby/Indigo/Getty Images Europe The Duke of Cambridge meets staff, volunteers, and supporters of the mental health charity ‘Campaign Against Living Miserably’ (CALM)Credit:@KensingtonRoyal/Twitter
The Alice Springs-based Lhere Artepe Group has acquired 51% of the CDE Group, taking indigenous ownership of the Australian mining and civil works contracting group to 84%. CDE’s current activities include providing services to Fortescue Metals Group’s Christmas Creek iron ore mine in Western Australia through the Downer EDI contracting group, and to Xstrata for the McArthur River zinc mine in the Northern Territory.In acquiring a 51% investment, Lhere Artepe – which represents the Central Arrernte Traditional Owners of the Alice Springs region – joins the Rusca family which has 33% of CDE as the Aboriginal majority owners.Current civil works contracts held by CDE include work for the New Future Alliance as part of the $672 million Strategic Indigenous Housing and Infrastructure Program (SIHIP), a joint initiative of the Australian and Northern Territory governments. CDE is also the lead contractor on the construction of two residential subdivisions comprising some 76 lots in the premium residential development of Mount Johns in Alice Springs, which includes sites for single dwelling, multiple dwelling and two townhouse-style developments, with 78 Units for LAE Nominees, the property development arm of the Lhere Artepe Group.Darryl Pearce of Lhere Artepe Group has been elected Chairman of the CDE Group and Phil Staveley has been appointed Chief Executive Officer. Pearce said that Lhere Artepe looked forward to working with CDE and to broadening the company’s civil, equipment hire, and mining services contracts in the NT and other states and territories. “We are enthusiastic about our investment in CDE which has been at the forefront of indigenous ownership and employment in Australia for several years and has played a key role in bringing people from Aboriginal communities into the workforce,” Pearce said. “We are dedicated to continuing this policy at CDE which currently has a workforce of around 100 people, of which 75% are indigenous employees.”Staveley said CDE looked forward to a bright future with its new major shareholder and, where necessary, would continue to make further structural changes as part of a renewed focus to capitalise on new business opportunities. “The development of future business opportunities is the most critical aspect of fulfilling CDE’s growth potential. The approach which Lhere Artepe brings to the business – being focused on management, structure, and client satisfaction – fits well with the CDE model and will allow the company to refocus its energies into creating and nurturing future business opportunities for the company,” Staveley said. The Lhere Artepe Group consists of four entities with a diverse range of investments as part of its vision for a safer, tidier, culturally rich and sustainable Alice Springs. Last year, the corporation’s drive for local ownership resulted in the Group making investments in Alice Springs of more than $25 million, including the development of two residential subdivisions and the acquisition of three Alice Springs IGA Foodland stores at Northside, Eastside and Flynn Drive.The CDE Group evolved from a family civil works business established by the Rusca family in the 1970s and is regarded as one of Australia’s largest indigenous-owned contracting companies operating in civil works and mining. CDE was the 2008 winner of the national Contract Miner of the Year award which is presented each year as part of the Australian Mining Prospect Awards.