Masked men torch opposition TV station

first_imgWith the help of other media, Raajje TV resumed limited broadcasting on a temporary basis at 1 pm today. It broadcast security camera footage of the fire and an interview with the vice-president of the Maldives Broadcasting Commission.Today’s arson attack came just a few days after Raajje TV broadcast a report entitled “Forum 15” about the threats it had been receiving. Yesterday evening, Raajje TV CEO Yamin Rasheed submitted a written request for protection to the police along details of the newest threats.His request received no reply, but the police have confirmed that they got his letter and said they stepped up patrols in the district today.Yesterday evening, Raajje TV covered an opposition Maldivian Democratic Party demonstration against the supreme court’s 23 September decision to suspend elections indefinitely. When a new government was installed in February 2012, both the police and the president’s office announced that they would no long cooperate with Raajje TV, which has been banned from the president’s news conferences and denied police protection during demonstrations.Raajje TV was previously prevented from broadcasting by incidents in August 2012 and, in February 2013, the station’s news director, Ibrahim Asward Waheed, was attacked by men on a motorcycle, who beat him with steel bars and left him for dead. Follow the news on Maldives RSF seeks press freedom pledges from Maldives presidential candidates Maldivian president’s comms chief accused of sexually harassing journalist October 7, 2013 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Masked men torch opposition TV station Help by sharing this information News MaldivesAsia – Pacific Organisation RSF_en Receive email alerts to go further April 23, 2018 Find out more News September 12, 2018 Find out more Reporters Without Borders condemns an arson attack by six masked men early this morning that destroyed much of the headquarters of Raajje TV, one of Maldives’ most popular television stations, one that supports the opposition.“This criminal act is a direct blow to freedom of information and we deplore the attitude of the police, who failed to do what was necessary to prevent the attack although the head of TV station requested protection a few hours before it took place,” Reporters Without Borders said.“The police must immediately launch an investigation so that those who started this fire are arrested and brought to justice. We also call on the Maldivian authorities and the international community to help Raajje TV to resume providing news and information as soon as possible.”Reporters Without Borders added: “The national authorities have a duty to provide Raajje TV with proper equipment so that it can function in the same way as it did before the fire.”The fire was started by six masked men armed with steel bars and machetes who forced their way into the building in the early hours of this morning after restraining and stabbing its security guard. They then broke through a steel door leading to the TV station’s studios on the second floor, doused it with gasoline and set it alight.A witness said the injured guard repeatedly asked police stationed nearby to intervene, with no immediate success. Other witnesses said they called the police, who did not respond until after the entire premises were ablaze. The fire started at around 4:45 a.m. and was not put out until 7 a.m. MaldivesAsia – Pacific RSF calls for open trial of Maldivian blogger’s accused murderers News July 15, 2020 Find out more Newslast_img read more

Patna HC Extends Operation Of Interim Orders Till May 18; Period Between March 16 & May 17 Excluded From Limitation [Read Order]

first_imgNews UpdatesPatna HC Extends Operation Of Interim Orders Till May 18; Period Between March 16 & May 17 Excluded From Limitation [Read Order] LIVELAW NEWS NETWORK30 April 2020 6:04 AMShare This – xTaking note of the likelihood of continuation of Red Zone COVID-19 restrictions in and around Patna beyond May 3, a full bench of the Patna High Court on Thursday passed a slew of directions for the extension of interim orders till May 18.The following are the directions issued by a bench comprising Chief Justice Sanjay Karol, Justice Dinesh Kumar Singh and Hemant Kumar Shrivastava :(i)…Your free access to Live Law has expiredTo read the article, get a premium account.Your Subscription Supports Independent JournalismSubscription starts from ₹ 599+GST (For 6 Months)View PlansPremium account gives you:Unlimited access to Live Law Archives, Weekly/Monthly Digest, Exclusive Notifications, Comments.Reading experience of Ad Free Version, Petition Copies, Judgement/Order Copies.Subscribe NowAlready a subscriber?LoginTaking note of the likelihood of continuation of Red Zone COVID-19 restrictions in and around Patna beyond May 3, a full bench of the Patna High Court on Thursday passed a slew of directions for the extension of interim orders till May 18.The following are the directions issued by a bench comprising Chief Justice Sanjay Karol, Justice Dinesh Kumar Singh and Hemant Kumar Shrivastava :(i) Unless directed by the Hon’ble Supreme Court of India in any particular matter, all interim orders passed by any Court/Authority/Tribunal in Bihar under the power of superintendence of High Court of Judicature at Patna, be it of any nature, prior to 16th of March, 2020 shall stand automatically extended till 18th of May, 2020. Resultant hardship of an extreme nature, caused if any, to any one of the parties would entitle them to seek modification of continuance of such interim order(s), by moving an appropriate application in those proceedings wherein such interim order(s) stood issued by the respective Court(s)/Authority/Tribunal and this order would not come in the way of consideration of such  application on merits.(ii) All interim orders passed by the High Court of Judicature at Patna, all the District Courts, Family Courts, Labour Courts and Industrial Tribunal and all other Tribunals in the State under the powers of superintendence of the High Court of Judicature at Patna, which has expired subsequent to 16th of March, 2020 only for the reason that the matter could not be taken up on account of the Pandemic or are due to expire during the period of the lock down, i.e. upto 3rd May, 2020 shall be deemed to be in continuance till 18th of May, 2020.(iii) However, we clarify that those interim orders which are not of limited duration/are to operate till further orders would not be governed by these directions.(iv) The period for complying with any directions issued by this Court in any judicial proceedings or in any Civil Proceedings by the Courts/Authority/Tribunal under the powers of superintendence of the High Court of Judicature at Patna, including peremptory orders shall be deemed to have been extended up to 17th of May, 2020. No adverse order shall be passed or construed to have been passed for non-compliance of such directions directed to be complied with between the period 16th of March, 2020 upto 17th of May, 2020.(v) All orders or decree for eviction, dispossession and demolition passed by any Court, Tribunal or authority, save and except Hon’ble the Supreme Court of India, shall continue to remain in abeyance, till 18th of May, 2020.(vi) Considering the prevalent attending circumstances, unless essentially required in public interest, it is expected of the State not to precipitate any action till 17th of May, 2020 so as to compel the citizens to approach the Court for redressal of their grievances.(vii) The period from 16th of March, 2020 till 17th of May, 2020 shall be deemed to have been excluded for the purposes of computing limitation stipulated under the Statute or for complying with judicial orders passed by this Court or the Subordinate Courts. Click here to download orderRead OrderSubscribe to LiveLaw, enjoy Ad free version and other unlimited features, just INR 599 Click here to Subscribe. All payment options available.loading….Next Storylast_img read more