Keith lines out for suicide patrol

first_imgRELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Twitter #SaucySoul: Room 58 – ‘Hate To See You Leave’ TAGSCorbett Suicide Prevention PatrolsKeith EarlsMusic Limerick WhatsApp Keith Earls autobiography coming this October NewsLocal NewsKeith lines out for suicide patrolBy Alan Jacques – March 20, 2014 909 Breaking: Keith Earls Extends IRFU Contract Email Printcenter_img Mike Haley hails ‘unbelievable’ Keith Earls Facebook Linkedin Advertisement MUNSTER, Ireland and Lions rugby star Keith Earls has signed up to tackle the serious issue of suicide in Limerick as an ambassador for the Corbett Suicide Prevention Patrol.The city suicide group that patrols the River Shannon made contact with the 26-year-old Moyross man through Munster head offices last month. And, according to Paul Hogan of the voluntary group, Earls was quick to pledge his support.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up “We are about prevention but we are also about awareness. We have been asked to give lots of talks on the issue of suicide and the fact that Keith Earls has now given us his support will help raise our profile,” Mr Hogan said.“When we contacted Keith, he said he was well aware of the work we do. We are absolutely delighted to have such a well-known ambassador for our organisation. His support will help raise more awareness and the more we talk about this issue, the better,” he explained.The CSPP have been involved in over 80 interventions along the Shannon since setting up over a year ago. The volunteer suicide group have also launched a new helpline number — 085-2120987 — for families who might be concerned about a loved one who is missing.The group will hold a fundraising event at Limerick Greyhound Stadium on March 29 next. Tickets cost €10 and are available via the voluntary group’s facebook page. Previous articleWeekly Golf Notes 22/3/14Next articleLosses change everything for Limerick GAA Alan Jacqueshttp://www.limerickpost.ie Celebrating a ground breaking year in music from Limerick ‘He’s one of the best players I’ve played with’ – Rory Best backs Keith Earls for Lions call last_img read more

Gregory McMichael, ex-police officer charged with killing Ahmaud Arbery, had service weapon suspended in 2019

first_imgBlake David Taylor/iStockBy BRANDON BAUER, ABC NEWS(NEW YORK) — Documents show that Gregory McMichael’s law enforcement certification was suspended and his firearm was taken away in February 2019 due to repeatedly failing to take mandatory training, one year before the fatal shooting of Ahmaud Arbery.He retired a few months later in June 2019.McMichael, and his adult son, Travis, were arrested on May 7 and charged with murder and aggravated assault for the Feb. 23 shooting death of Arbery, who was jogging in his Satilla Shores, Georgia, neighborhood when confronted by the two men. The arrest came soon after a video showing the fatal confrontation went viral.This suspension is outlined in Gregory McMichael’s personnel records, obtained by ABC News, from his time working in Glynn County, Georgia, as a police officer and investigator in the district attorney’s office.In February 2019, the Georgia Peace Officer Standards and Training Council (POST) issued McMichael a suspension order for “failure to maintain training for the year 2018.” At that point McMichael lost his powers of arrest.In a “Memorandum of Understanding” signed by McMichael, his boss at the time, District Attorney Jackie Johnson, wrote that McMichael “will not engage in any activity that would be construed as being law enforcement in nature,” and, “To that end, Mr. McMichael will not carry a firearm or badge, nor will he operate any vehicle in the motor pool outfitted with lights, siren or police radio equipment.”McMichael previously received a warning in 2014 after failing to finish mandatory firearms and use-of-force courses, and the documents show McMichael repeatedly failed to complete training over the course of several years.“This situation has been a great embarrassment to me and to Investigator McMichael,” Johnson wrote in a 2014 letter to the Georgia POST director. “It has negatively impacted my office, and I have taken measures to ensure that it doesn’t happen again.”The personnel records were first obtained by Jacksonville, Florida, TV station WJXT.McMichael was also suspended in 2006 for an undisclosed infraction. He was hired in July 1982 and worked on the force for 37 years.He explained his deficient hours in an application where he asked for a training waiver. McMichael explained that he suffered a heart attack in 2006, and dealt with clinical depression for which he needed medical treatment.In 2009, McMichael and his wife filed for bankruptcy “due to overwhelming medical bills from my surgeries as well as bills from my wife’s cancer treatment,” according to the waiver. McMichael also stated they were having issues with his daughter that year and that he suffered a second heart attack.ABC News has reached out to Laura and Frank Hogue, the lawyers representing McMichael, about the suspension, but have not received comment.The husband and wife team representing McMichael said in a statement Thursday that the public had rushed to judge their client.“So often the public accepts a narrative driven by an incomplete set of facts, one that vilifies a good person, based on a rush to judgment, which has happened in this case,” Laura Hogue said in a statement.“While the death of Ahmaud Arbery is a tragedy, causing deep grief to his family — a tragedy that at first appears to many to fit into a terrible pattern in American life — this case does not fit that pattern,” Frank Hogue added. “The full story, to be revealed in time, will tell the truth about this case.”His lawyers will hold a press conference on Friday, and will petition a judge to allow McMichael to be released on bail.He and his son are currently being held at the Glynn County Detention Center.Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.last_img read more