News to go further News News RSF_en May 13, 2021 Find out more RSF begins research into mechanisms for protecting journalists in Latin America Help by sharing this information Gilda Silvestrucci (photo) has become the latest member of the “Journalists for Life and Free Expression” collective to get threatening phone calls, following Itsmania Pineda Platero, who received a series of threatening calls earlier this month.The two women, along with a number of other journalists, organized a march on 13 December that was violently dispersed outside the presidential palace in Tegucigalpa. The purpose of their march was to protest against free speech violations and impunity for those responsible.Silvestrucci has been constantly followed ever since she and 14 other women members of the collective filed a complaint against President Porfirio Lobo Sosa, armed forces chief of staff Gen. René Osorio Canales and presidential guard chief Gen. Andrés Felipe Díaz a week after the march.“We are in constant contact with this collective and we propose to set up a permanent alert system for its threatened representatives,” Reporters Without Borders said. “We urge them to share with us all the evidence, including recordings or statements, that could support the complaint they filed on 21 December. We reiterate that we hold the authorities directly responsible for the lives of these women journalists and those close to them.”Silvestrucci received a call on her mobile phone yesterday morning from an unidentified individual who told her: “We know that you have three children, that the oldest is 15, that at this moment you are walking down the street with your seven-year-old son and that the oldest is at home looking after the one-year-old baby, and we are going to kill you.”Three days earlier, Silvestrucci’s mother received a call from someone trying to find about Silvestrucci’s timetable, her movements, the places she frequents and the number of her mobile phone.Silvestrucci edits the online newspaper El Patriota and produces “En la plaza,” a programme broadcast every weekday morning on Radio Globo. She had just finished yesterday morning’s programme, about a controversial mining bill currently before parliament, when she received the call threatening her and her children.Both of the news media she works for voiced their opposition to the June 2009 coup d’état from the outset. The coup started a crackdown that has never stopped.Unnoticed mass killingsA total of 24 journalists have been killed in Honduras in the past decade, 17 of them since the coup. The police and judicial authorities have had little success in investigating any of these cases. Murders of citizens who provided information to the media or defended human rights and media pluralism also go unpunished.The latest victim in this category is Matías Valle, 55, a peasant community leader who was gunned down by two men on a motorcycle at a bus stop in the northern depart of Colón on 20 January, three days after the murder of Ricardo Rosales, a lawyer who had accused police in the northern town of Tela of serious human rights violations.Valle was a leading representative of the Aguán United Peasant Movement (MUCA), a group based in Aguán, a northern region racked by violent land disputes between agro-industrial companies and local peasant communities that has been under military control since 2010. He had repeatedly denounced the constant and often deadly harassment of the region’s peasant inhabitants. The Committee for Free Expression (C-Libre), a Reporters Without Borders partner organization, said that, because of the risks he took in talking to the media, he should in principle have been a beneficiary of “protective measures”. “If these protective measures had been properly implemented, Valle would not have been waiting alone at a bus stop and at the mercy of his killers,” Reporters Without Borders said. “His death must be added to the toll of the mass killings taking place out of sight in Aguán. At the very least, an international commission of enquiry with very broad powers should be dispatched to this region.”Reporters Without Borders pays tribute to Valle and to his personal courage in providing badly needed information about what has been taking place in Aguán. 2011-2020: A study of journalist murders in Latin America confirms the importance of strengthening protection policies RSF’s 2020 Round-up: 50 journalists killed, two-thirds in countries “at peace” Organisation January 24, 2012 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Women journalists terrorized, peasant spokesman gunned down in Aguán HondurasAmericas December 28, 2020 Find out more April 27, 2021 Find out more Receive email alerts HondurasAmericas Reports Follow the news on Honduras
Natural disasters tend to have a greater impact in North Korea due to its creaking infrastructure, and the country is vulnerable to flooding as many mountains and hills have long been deforested.Pyongyang’s state media said authorities had taken “urgent measures” to minimize the damage.”Heavy rain and strong winds are expected to hit various areas of the DPRK,” said the official KCNA news agency. Officials had undertaken a “detailed survey of dangerous spots” and inspected infrastructure including railway tunnels and roads, it added.Maysak is the second typhoon in a week to hit the peninsula. North Korean leader Kim Jong Un last week visited a farming region hit by Typhoon Bavi and expressed relief the damage was “smaller than expected”. Topics : “We are especially concerned,” he added.Maysak — named after a Cambodian tree — was predicted to make landfall late Wednesday west of Busan on the southern coast, then make its way up the eastern side of the peninsula before heading northwards into the Sea of Japan, known as the East Sea in Korea.It was forecast to make landfall again on Thursday near North Korea’s industrial city of Chongjin. “The winds could become more powerful” later Wednesday and into Thursday, South Korea’s Meteorological Administration said, forecasting heavy downpours of more than 400 millimeters. Flights were grounded in South Korea and storm warnings issued on both sides of the Korean peninsula as a typhoon forecast to be one of the most powerful in years made its approach Wednesday.More than 300 domestic departures were cancelled as Typhoon Maysak churned across waters south of the resort island of Jeju packing gusts of up to 162 kilometers per hour (101 miles per hour).South Korean Prime Minister Chung Sye-kyun said the storm was forecast to be similar in strength to 2003’s Typhoon Maemi, which left 131 people dead and more than 4 trillion won ($3 billion) in damage.
Sebastian Vettel accused Ferrari of messing up with a strategy that made no sense on Sunday.The unhappy German however did not help his own race by spinning at the first corner and dropping to last. It was a sign that the four-times world champion’s relations with the team are wearing thin, following their decision not to keep him on beyond this season.Vettel questioned Ferrari’s moves after finishing 12th in the 70th Anniversary race.After rejoining in traffic from his first pitstop, Vettel informed his team over the radio that “you know that you messed up.”“We spoke this (Sunday) morning and said there was no point pitting knowing that we will run into traffic – and that’s exactly what we did,” he told reporters later.“We went also onto a hard tyre, which we then only had on for 10 laps, probably not even that. So, it didn’t make any sense. “I mean why would you put the hard for 10 laps and put the medium for 20 laps? So, I was running out of tyres towards the end. So, we spoke about exactly that.”Vettel had said earlier in the weekend that he had run out of answers to explain why he was having such a hard time with the car.The German, who won all his titles with Red Bull between 2010 and 2013, has been eclipsed by young Monegasque team mate Charles Leclerc.Leclerc finished fourth on Sunday by making a one-stop strategy work.Ferrari’s review of the race said, perhaps pointedly, that Leclerc’s result was the result of “strategy and bravura”. “Sebastian’s position was the result of his first lap incident,” said team boss Mattia Binotto.Vettel is 13th in the standings after five races, with 10 points to Leclerc’s 45.His best finish this year was sixth in Hungary, and he has been 10th twice.Reuters/NAN.RelatedPosts Femi Otedola gifts his daughters Ferrari Portofino + Photo Vettel to leave Ferrari at end of F1 season Tyson Fury eyes Anthony Joshua fight —Tags: FerrariSebastian VettelStretegy