RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Twitter #SaucySoul: Room 58 – ‘Hate To See You Leave’ TAGSCorbett Suicide Prevention PatrolsKeith EarlsMusic Limerick WhatsApp Keith Earls autobiography coming this October NewsLocal NewsKeith lines out for suicide patrolBy Alan Jacques – March 20, 2014 909 Breaking: Keith Earls Extends IRFU Contract Email Print Mike Haley hails ‘unbelievable’ Keith Earls Facebook Linkedin Advertisement MUNSTER, Ireland and Lions rugby star Keith Earls has signed up to tackle the serious issue of suicide in Limerick as an ambassador for the Corbett Suicide Prevention Patrol.The city suicide group that patrols the River Shannon made contact with the 26-year-old Moyross man through Munster head offices last month. And, according to Paul Hogan of the voluntary group, Earls was quick to pledge his support.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up “We are about prevention but we are also about awareness. We have been asked to give lots of talks on the issue of suicide and the fact that Keith Earls has now given us his support will help raise our profile,” Mr Hogan said.“When we contacted Keith, he said he was well aware of the work we do. We are absolutely delighted to have such a well-known ambassador for our organisation. His support will help raise more awareness and the more we talk about this issue, the better,” he explained.The CSPP have been involved in over 80 interventions along the Shannon since setting up over a year ago. The volunteer suicide group have also launched a new helpline number — 085-2120987 — for families who might be concerned about a loved one who is missing.The group will hold a fundraising event at Limerick Greyhound Stadium on March 29 next. Tickets cost €10 and are available via the voluntary group’s facebook page. Previous articleWeekly Golf Notes 22/3/14Next articleLosses change everything for Limerick GAA Alan Jacqueshttp://www.limerickpost.ie Celebrating a ground breaking year in music from Limerick ‘He’s one of the best players I’ve played with’ – Rory Best backs Keith Earls for Lions call
As this day progresses, the community continues to honor the fallen drummer of The Allman Brothers Band with words, stories, music, videos and so much more. The legendary Butch Trucks passed away yesterday at the age of 69, leaving behind a beautiful legacy of music with the Allmans and beyond.One of the many lives that Trucks inspired is that of Warren Haynes, who cut his jib with the Allmans before branching out into Gov’t Mule and other projects. Haynes shared his sentiments on the loss of Butch Trucks through social media, posting an emotional status about his bandmate. You can read Haynes’ words below.“After all the devastating losses of 2016 I can’t believe it. I’m still in shock. I am truly honored to have played music and shared life with Butch for over 25 years. He was one of a kind-as a drummer and as a human being. Butch was part of what is unfortunately now a dying breed of musicians who served with honor like soldiers. He put 110% of his self into every song he played. He was the Lou Gehrig of rock drummers. I’ve seen him play many times when he was injured or sick and most people would have bailed or phoned it in. Not Butch. He would play with the utmost intensity till he was about to fall over with no regrets. He was very proud of the fact that up until our last shows in 2014 he was the only member of the band who had never missed a show. His mission in life was to serve the music. And serve the music he did. Butch considered the Allman Brothers Band music to be reverent and each performance to be of the highest level of importance and he drove that “freight train” like no other could. We miss you Butchie.”We sure do. RIP.
Bournemouth made it two strikers in as many days as they snapped up Lewis Grabban from Norwich. Former Rotherham player Grabban, 27, helped Norwich earn promotion to the Barclays Premier League last season. “I think we’ll be getting a better Lewis Grabban, but he’ll realise that we’ve got better as well and he will have to adapt too. But we’re in no doubt we’re getting a good player back,” manager Eddie Howe told his club’s official website. “He’s also someone who was popular in the dressing room behind the scenes he’s a strong motivator and we’re delighted to be bringing him back.” Earlier, Howe had spoken of his excitement at the potential of Afobe but is determined not to place any pressure on the young striker to make an immediate impact. Afobe, 22, joined the Cherries from Sky Bet Championship side Wolves for an undisclosed fee on Sunday and has signed a four-and-half-year deal. The former Arsenal player has been a regular goalscorer in the lower leagues, including a prolific stint with MK Dons last season, and Howe believes he has ability to do well in the top flight as well. “He is entering a new league and that is going to be a big experience for him but we believe he can make the step up,” Howe told a press conference. “He is strong, you just look at him and know he is going to be a handful, but he has good technique. “I am excited by that because I think there is a lot of potential in him and he is a really good age, and I think there are a lot of good years ahead of him.” It remains to be seen when Afobe will make his Bournemouth debut, with the striker waiting for clearance to see if he will be available to face West Ham on Tuesday, but whatever happens Howe does not want to put too many demands on his new player straight away. Howe added: “He may need a little bit of time to settle as most new players do for us because of the way we play, so we are not placing huge expectation on his shoulders. “He is someone who can play the role the way we like it to be played and I think he will be a success, but we are going to need to work on him like we do all other players.” Although he has already made two early swoops in the transfer market, Howe is still confident of attracting more players to Bournemouth before the window closes. “We are still looking, no guarantees but we are hoping to add to the squad,” the 38-year-old said. “Like any transfer window it is an important window, we want to try and bring the right players to the club with the right attitudes. “I have been excited by the signings we have had so far, if we can add a bit more quality then I think we will be in a really healthy position.” The Cherries have paid an undisclosed fee for Grabban, who returns to the south coast for a second spell. Grabban – who scored 35 goals during his first two-year stay – joins on a three-and-a-half-year deal and his arrival comes a day after the capture of Benik Afobe from Wolves. Press Association
BARCELONA, Spain (AP):Rafa BenÌtez held on to his job last year but faces another tough test of his coaching credentials tomorrow when Real Madrid visit Valencia for their first Spanish league game of 2016.BenÌtez has been the focus of criticism from disgruntled fans for Madrid’s unpredictable campaign, which has included a lopsided loss to fierce rivals Barcelona and their embarrassing disqualification from the Copa del Rey for fielding an ineligible player.Madrid travel to Mestalla Stadium after two easy victories at their own Santiago BernabÈu home that failed to win over their most sceptical supporters, some of whom jeered BenÌtez.Madrid defender Pepe has called for calm.”We have to let our coach continue to improve,” Pepe said. “If a new manager came, we’d have to adapt to new systems and that isn’t good. We should save the evaluations for the end of the season.”Madrid have struggled on the road this season, dropping points on four of eight of their outings. Their last away game ended in a 1-0 loss at Villarreal.Madrid are in third place, two points behind Barcelona and AtlÈtico Madrid. Defending champions Barcelona have played one less game than their rivals.BenÌtez’s counterpart tomorrow is also in need of a victory.Former Manchester United defender Gary Neville’s coaching debut has got off to an uninspiring start.Valencia have only beaten a third-division side in the Copa del Rey since he took over. Otherwise, the team has recorded a pair of draws and two losses, including a poor showing in a 1-0 league defeat at regional rivals Villarreal on Thursday. That loss left Valencia 10th and 11 points from the Champions League spots.”The team is united and we are trying to get a win as soon as possible,” said Valencia striker ·lvaro Negredo. “January will be a key month.”BARCELONA DERBYBarcelona make the short trip across the Catalan capital to play the first of three derbies against Espanyol today.The two clubs will also meet in the round of 16 of the Copa del Rey over the next two weeks.Barcelona will be heavily favoured to continue their record form of 2015, when Luis Enrique’s team won five titles and set a new record 180 for goals scored.The strike trio of Lionel Messi, Neymar and Luis Su·rez combined for 137 of those goals. Su·rez is leading the league this campaign with 15, followed by Neymar and Madrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo with 14 each.Espanyol’s defence is the fourth-worst in the competition with 28 goals conceded. Only the three teams in the relegation zone have conceded more.