RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Twitter #SaucySoul: Room 58 – ‘Hate To See You Leave’ TAGSCorbett Suicide Prevention PatrolsKeith EarlsMusic Limerick WhatsApp Keith Earls autobiography coming this October NewsLocal NewsKeith lines out for suicide patrolBy Alan Jacques – March 20, 2014 909 Breaking: Keith Earls Extends IRFU Contract Email Print Mike Haley hails ‘unbelievable’ Keith Earls Facebook Linkedin Advertisement MUNSTER, Ireland and Lions rugby star Keith Earls has signed up to tackle the serious issue of suicide in Limerick as an ambassador for the Corbett Suicide Prevention Patrol.The city suicide group that patrols the River Shannon made contact with the 26-year-old Moyross man through Munster head offices last month. And, according to Paul Hogan of the voluntary group, Earls was quick to pledge his support.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up “We are about prevention but we are also about awareness. We have been asked to give lots of talks on the issue of suicide and the fact that Keith Earls has now given us his support will help raise our profile,” Mr Hogan said.“When we contacted Keith, he said he was well aware of the work we do. We are absolutely delighted to have such a well-known ambassador for our organisation. His support will help raise more awareness and the more we talk about this issue, the better,” he explained.The CSPP have been involved in over 80 interventions along the Shannon since setting up over a year ago. The volunteer suicide group have also launched a new helpline number — 085-2120987 — for families who might be concerned about a loved one who is missing.The group will hold a fundraising event at Limerick Greyhound Stadium on March 29 next. Tickets cost €10 and are available via the voluntary group’s facebook page. Previous articleWeekly Golf Notes 22/3/14Next articleLosses change everything for Limerick GAA Alan Jacqueshttp://www.limerickpost.ie Celebrating a ground breaking year in music from Limerick ‘He’s one of the best players I’ve played with’ – Rory Best backs Keith Earls for Lions call
The US Senate Tuesday narrowly broke a months-long Republican filibuster by voting 61-37 to advance a small business jobs bill that will boost commercial lending and provide tax relief to small businesses in Vermont and nationwide.US Senator Patrick Leahy (D-VT), who voted in favor of the bill, expects the Senate to give final approval to the bill on Thursday.The Small Business Job Creation Act modernizes the application process for US Small Business Administration (SBA) lending programs; it targets tax relief to America’s 27 million small businesses; and it creates a $30 billion lending fund for healthy Main Street banks to boost capital access to small firms needing an injection of funds to grow their businesses and hire new workers.Leahy said the fully-paid-for bill would directly benefit small business job creation in Vermont, where the SBA estimates that a $2.2 million backlog in small business loans would immediately be relieved if the bill were enacted. The bill increases the size of SBA guarantees, reduces SBA mandated fees and lifts the maximum dollar figure of SBA loans.The bill also includes $1.5 billion to bolster state small business lending programs, such as loan participation programs, loan guarantee programs, and collateral support programs, which would provide the Vermont Economic Development Authority (VEDA) with an additional $13.5 million to support lending activities across the state.‘Small businesses are the backbone of Vermont’s economy and an important engine in our economic recovery efforts,’ said Leahy. ‘Some small businesses in Vermont are still struggling to find the working capital they need to grow their businesses and invest in new jobs. This bill will open new commercial lending doors by reducing red tape and expanding loan programs at the SBA, by providing tax relief to businesses that invest in new jobs and equipment, by creating a new $30 billion lending fund specifically for small businesses, and by investing in proven economic development programs like VEDA.’VEDA CEO Jo Bradley said, ‘VEDA’s Financial Access Program has been a very successful tool for helping small business. The additional capacity we may be able to access from Treasury would allow us to expand this important program.’ Kenneth Gibbons, President and CEO of Union Bank in Morrisville, said, “I think overall the bill will be helpful to small business and banks. However, we (Union) probably will not need to draw on the additional capital as most banks are well capitalized in Vermont. Therefore, they have not been as strained as banks in other parts of the country, where this legislation will provide access to capital for banks which have had losses due to the effects of the economy in their regions.”I want to read the final version before I really commit to what the overall effect will be in Vermont,” he said.This is the latest step that Congress and the president have taken since the economic meltdown of 2008 to smooth small business lending across the country.In April Leahy organized a free conference for small businesses in Vermont to learn more about the variety of commercial lending options available through local banks, credit unions, nonprofits, state entities, and the federal government.Over the past two years, Congress and the Obama Administration have enacted a wide variety of small business tax relief and tax incentive measures, including allowing firms a bonus depreciation to immediately write off half of the cost of depreciable property; extending the carry-back on net operating losses from two years to five years; and implementing a new payroll deduction for businesses that hire new workers.Last year’s American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) made several changes to the SBA lending process, which are extended by this new bill, which gives SBA an additional $375 million for new loan guarantees. The bill also extends the maximum loan guarantee level, which was raised in ARRA to 90 percent, and continues ARRA’s elimination of processing fees for small businesses. The economic recovery act also created a new type of SBA relief loan for previously profitable businesses seeking temporary and targeted capital. These widespread changes to SBA programs have supported nearly $30 billion in new loans so far.The economic recovery act also contained $100 million in added resources for the Treasury Department’s Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) Fund, which brought $6 million in new CDFI funds to Vermont organizations. These groups are using the money to leverage millions more in private investment for economic development and housing projects across the state.Source: Leahy. WASHINGTON (Sept. 14, 2010) ‘# # # # #
Antidrug officers inspect items seized from Junny Cris Delonguines and Lord Rubias. They were caught in an entrapment operation outside the Aklan Rehabilitation Center in Barangay Nalook on Feb. 8. RODNEL AGUIRRE KALIBO, Aklan – Five suspected drugpeddlers were nabbed in three separate sting operations here. An undercover cop initially bought fromthe suspects two sachets of illegal drugs for P3,000. Kalibo Deputy Chief of Police Major JoelBulfa said the suspects were inside their room when the anti-drug operativesconducted the sting operation. According to Aklan Provincial Drug Enforcement Unit (PDEU) ChiefMajor Frenze Andrade, the sting operations were conducted in cooperation with thePhilippine Drug Enforcement Agency, Kalibo municipal police station and otherlaw enforcement units. “SiManglapus ang kumukuha ng drugs galingBacolod, itong si Auro ang distributor sa Kalibo. Posiblengnakabenta sila bago nakaikasa ang operasyon. Mahigit P100,000 ang streetvalue ang illegal na druga ang nakuha sa kanila,” he added. The 48-year-old Resident HilarioRegalado was nabbed after he sold a sachet of suspected illegal drugs to anundercover operative for P1,500 on Feb. 6. He said that they will continue theircrackdown on drug pushers and users engaging in illegal drug trade to reducethe proliferation of drugs in the province. The 42-year-old Junny Cris Delonguinesfrom Oton Iloilo and his 30-year-old companion Loid Rubias yielded after theysold two sachets of suspected shabu for P4,500 to an undercover officer outsidethe ARC . Delonguines and Rubias were released bythe court through a plea bargaining agreement, but they still continued toengage in the illegal drug trade. Seven sachets of suspected shabu valuedat around P100,000 were seized from 39-year-old Daryl Manglapus, and42-year-old Gene Auro, a police report showed. They were caught in BarangayPook of the town around 10:20 p.m. on Feb. 9. Weeks of surveillance proved thatRegalado had been using and peddling suspected shabu. All of them were detained in the lockupcell of the Kalibo municipal police station, facing charges for violation ofRepublic Act 9165, or the comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002. Two former detainees of the AklanRehabilitation Center (ARC) in Barangay Nalook here were also apprehendedaround 2:15 p.m. on Feb 8. Police also arrested another drugpeddler in Barangay Estancia, of this town. “Itongmga drug personalities ay nagbabantaydin sa ating mga kapulisan. Sanakalipas na mga buwan, nag-umpisa ulit silang magbenta, lalong lalo na itongnaka-plea bargaining agreement,” he stressed.(With a report from Akean Forum/PN)
Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error Though most of the younger Rivers’ work came after the game had been decided, he was nevertheless stoked about the breakthrough.“I have to make my free throws, but it’s coming for me,” he said. “I need to keep being aggressive and keep playing defense because I think when I bring that, I bring energy.”Griffin talks All-StarsIt was announced Thursday that Blake Griffin was selected by fans to start in the 2015 All-Star game that will be played Feb. 15 at Madison Square Garden in New York City. He will be playing in his fifth All-Star game in five seasons in the league, and it was his fourth consecutive selection by fans.He does not downplay the meaning of it all.“It’s something that I definitely do not take for granted,” Griffin said. “I am thankful for the fan votes and humbled by them. It is always a fun experience and it is a cool weekend to get together and play a relaxed game, but at the same time try to put on a show. All-Star weekend is for the fans.”Griffin then spoke about teammate Chris Paul finishing fourth in fan balloting for backcourt players, meaning if he is to continue his streak of seven consecutive All-Star games, he will have to get selected by the coaches.“I think he deserves (a spot) and that’s not just being biased,” Griffin said. “I keep saying that a lot of guys deserve it. With the 12-man roster, a lot of guys don’t get to play that should. But I know (Paul) would say the same thing – our season isn’t won or lost by All-Star ballots.“It’s an honor and I think CP deserves it.”Reserves will be announced Jan. 29.BREAKOUTThe Clippers next play Sunday at 3 p.m. at Phoenix (26-18), which is in eighth in the Western Conference. The Clippers are tied for fifth with Houston. “You can clearly see that the bench is alive and that is nice,” Rivers said. “That has not been the case all year and you can just see the guys enjoying each other as a group. Playing well helps, too. Even in the Cleveland game (a 126-121 loss Jan. 16), we did not play that great but I thought our bench was live.“It is good that our bench guys are cheering for the starters, and the starters are cheering for the bench guys. Yesterday (Wednesday) we had an extremely spirited practice in a very good way. It is called growth and that is great for our team.”The biggest cheerleader on the bench has been swingman Dahntay Jones, who was recently signed to a 10-day contract and will be signed to another, Rivers said. Austin Rivers, son of Doc Rivers, also has gotten into the cheerleading act on the bench.Speaking of AustinAustin Rivers, a reserve guard, Thursday played in his fourth game for his father. After scoring just three points on 1 of 10 shooting in his first three games, he scored nine points on 4 of 7 from the field against Brooklyn. He also doled out six assists. The only blemish was that he missed all four of his free throws. Clippers coach Doc Rivers this season has often expressed dismay at the play of his bench. That’s starting to change.It was late Thursday night and the Clippers (29-14) had just come through with their most lopsided victory of the season – 123-84 over the Brooklyn Nets at Staples Center. The reserves accounted for 54 points and played solid defense.“They (reserves) have been playing well,” Rivers said. “I think the two things that they have done better over the last three of four games is that they started with their defense and then they get the ball moving. I thought the ball movement in the first half was fantastic. It is starting to pay off for us and that is nice.”It’s more than that. Rivers said he has noticed the ramped up energy on the bench, whether it’s coming from the reserves themselves or the starters when the reserves are on the floor.