Email LIMERICK is to get an further employment boost as contact lens manufacturer Vistakon Ireland is creating 100 new highly skilled jobs at its site in the National Technology Park, Plassey, as it invests €100m in the expansion of its manufacturing operations. The announcement came this Monday as the investment, supported by IDA Ireland, will also lead to 200 temporary construction jobs over the next 18 months.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up “Vistakon Ireland has been a major provider of employment and an important exporter since 1996,” noted Minister for Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation Richard Bruton TD.Minister for Finance, Michael Noonan TD said Vistakon Ireland had been a highly respected employer in the Mid West Region for over 15 years. “It has an extensive network of local and national suppliers for goods and services, all of which contribute significantly to the Irish economy.”Established in Limerick in 1996, Vistakon Ireland designs, manufactures and markets the Acuvue range of soft disposable contact lenses, the world’s number one brand. It is one of several Johnson & Johnson companies operating in Ireland, employing a total of 1,900 people. Advertisement Print Twitter Facebook WhatsApp NewsLocal NewsVistakon announces 100 new jobsBy admin – January 14, 2013 654 Linkedin Previous article€10.5 million tourism investments boost to cityNext articleGroup sends clear message about Limerick sex trade admin
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Suffolk County Treasurer Angie Carpenter, left, and County Comptroller Joseph Sawicki, right.Critics blasted a proposal to merge the offices of the Suffolk County comptroller and treasurer as a political ploy while supporters contend it will save taxpayer money, should voters decide the issue.Treasurer Angie Carpenter and some lawmakers questioned whether the bill is designed to allow Comptroller Joseph Sawicki, who’s term limited, to run for another 12 years under a new title and oust Carpenter, the former Republican rival to County Executive Steve Bellone, a Democrat.“This is not a merger, this is a hostile takeover,” Carpenter told the legislature Monday at a public hearing. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”The comments came at a special meeting of the panel that is expected to decide July 30 whether voters in a November referendum should weigh consolidating the two elected posts into a new office of the chief financial officer.“Sooner or later, with taxpayers wanting leaner and meaner government, this is going to happen,” said Sawicki, a Republican who acknowledged his prior opposition to the same idea in 2006. “The world has economically changed in the last five years. We have to rethink everything.”If approved, Sawicki would lead the new, consolidated office starting in January and would be eligible to run for the post in the 2014 elections.The majority of speakers—including town-level elected officials, bankers and members of the public—voice opposition to the proposal, although a handful of supporters also spoke.“This timing appears politicized and politics and finance are very poor bed fellows,” said Lisa Scott, president of Suffolk County League of Women Voters, adding that the group supports government consolidation, but has doubts about this proposal.“It’s not about politics and it’s not about personalities,” said Huntington-based attorney Paul Sabatino, a former council to the legislature hired by Sawicki. He noted that the comptroller is paying him out of campaign funds and not public money.Republican lawmakers in the Democratic-controlled legislature also balked that an amended version of the bill was submitted less than an hour before the public hearing, which left little time for anyone to digest the changes.Legis. Rick Montano (D-Central Islip) pointed out that since the district attorney, sheriff and clerk sued to overturn the term limits—a ruling that is pending appeal—only the comptroller, treasurer and legislators remain term limited.So is the county executive. But now the Comptroller Sawicki may have a chance to run for an office equivalent to his current title.“If this bill is past and the referendum passes, then [Sawicki’s] able to maintain his current functions beyond the 12-year period that the public voted for,” Montano said while referring to the referendum a decade ago that created term limits. “We have effectively taken the public’s vote and thrown it in the garbage can.”
Photo courtesy of CNN Filipinos in Iraq were urged to contact the embassy following the repatriation order. Military officials are also considering deploying C-130 planes and tapping the services of cruise ships. The Philippine Coast Guard said its BRP Gabriela Silang is sailing to either to Oman or Dubai to carry out repatriation missions. MANILA — All Filipinos living in Iraq were ordered to return to the Philippines after the highest threat alert was raised in the country amid rising tensions between the United States and Iran, an official said on Wednesday. The government said it is ready to roll out a mass repatriation for the over 4,000 Filipinos living and working in the Middle East, Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) administrator Hans Cacdac said Tuesday. “Repatriation is out of the question when there is a shooting war. We have to place them in a safe place. Hindi naman sila kailangang umuwi habang nagkakaroon ng giyera doon o digmaan. Hindi mo naman maiuuwi iyun talaga,” he told CNN Philippines. He said repatriation remains the Philippine government’s “end goal.” [Translation: They don’t have to go home to the Philippines when there is an ongoing war. You can’t bring them home anyway.] Keep in touch with the embassy “Ang marching order sa amin ay mandatory repatriation,” said Philippine Embassy in Iraq Chargé d’Affaires Jomar Sadie. Conflict between US and Iran continues to rise after US President Donald Trump ordered an airstrike that killed Iranian military leader Qasem Soleimani in Baghdad, Iraq on January 3. On Wednesday, Iran fired missiles at two bases housing US troops in Iraq. Malacañang said Filipinos in Iraq will not be forced to go home; they can opt to be evacuated to a safe place instead. Presidential spokesperson Salvador Panelo said one of the options is to send them to Saudi Arabia, where there are frigates awaiting their arrival. With Alert Level 4 raised, mandatory repatriation is ordered. It is issued when there is large-scale internal conflict or a full-blown external attack in the area, according to the Foreign Affairs Department. “We know the options and choices of our citizens abroad may change. They may choose to wait. The key is to keep in close touch with the embassy so they’re properly informed,” Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) Administrator Hans Cacdac said. Filipinos in Iraq may contact the embassy at 0781 606 6822 and 0751 616 7838. They may also contact the embassy via email through [email protected] or [email protected], or through its Facebook page, Philippine Embassy in Iraq. (CNN.PH) There are 4,204 Filipinos in Iraq — 4,000 of them are undocumented or irregular migrants — according to DFA’s Office of the Undersecretary for Migrant Workers data as of June 2019. Sadie reiterated the importance of coordinating with the embassy located in Baghdad. He said there are options for the processing of Filipinos who wish to go home, such as asking for the help of their employers or by personally contacting the embassy, especially if they’re not employed.