Receive email alerts Organisation Pakistani supreme court acquits main suspect in Daniel Pearl murder Pakistani journalist critical of the military wounded by gunfire Follow the news on Pakistan PakistanAsia – Pacific At the initiative of Reporters Without Borders, TV news executives and editors around the world have come out in support of the privately-owned Pakistani TV news stations that had been banned from broadcasting. In a joint statement, they have condemned the fact that “millions of Pakistanis have been deprived of independent news” since the declaration of a state of emergency on 3 November.”We, executives and editors of TV stations in Europe, Asia and the Americas, call on President Pervez Musharraf to immediately rescind this decision, which is contrary to free enterprise and the freedom to report the news, and we express our solidarity with the Pakistani TV stations and their staff,” they said.The signatories include Mark Wood, the chief executive of Britain’s ITN, Chuck Lustig, the foreign news director of ABC News in the United States, Torsten Rossmann, the head of the executive board of Germany’s N24, Jörg Harzem, N24’s chief editor, Nik Niethammer, the chief editor of Germany’s Sat.1 and Guillaume Dubois, the deputy director-general of France’s BFMTV.They also include Peter Kloeppel, the news editor of Germany’s RTL, Yves Bigot, the regional service director of Belgium’s RTBF, Saad Mohseni, the chairman of Afghanistan’s Moby Media Group, which operates Tolo TV, Stéphane Rosenblatt, the head of the Belgian station RTL-TVI, and Gilles Marchant, the head of the Swiss TV station TSR.The ban on cable distribution for the privately-owned TV stations was lifted yesterday for two of the stations, Aaj TV and DawnNews, but Aaj TV was forced to drop two of its talk-shows. The government has also imposed a new broadcast media law and a code of conduct for the TV stations. At the initiative of Reporters Without Borders, executives and editors from TV news organisations around theworld including ITN, ABC News, N24, BFMTV, RTL, RTBF, Tolo TV and TSR have condemned the fact that “millions of Pakistanis have been deprived of independent news” since the declaration of a state of emergency on 3 November. June 2, 2021 Find out more April 21, 2021 Find out more Help by sharing this information News November 17, 2007 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Foreign TV executives and editors back censored Pakistani TV stations Pakistani TV anchor censored after denouncing violence against journalists RSF_en News News News to go further PakistanAsia – Pacific January 28, 2021 Find out more
News to go further News News RSF_en May 13, 2021 Find out more RSF begins research into mechanisms for protecting journalists in Latin America Help by sharing this information Gilda Silvestrucci (photo) has become the latest member of the “Journalists for Life and Free Expression” collective to get threatening phone calls, following Itsmania Pineda Platero, who received a series of threatening calls earlier this month.The two women, along with a number of other journalists, organized a march on 13 December that was violently dispersed outside the presidential palace in Tegucigalpa. The purpose of their march was to protest against free speech violations and impunity for those responsible.Silvestrucci has been constantly followed ever since she and 14 other women members of the collective filed a complaint against President Porfirio Lobo Sosa, armed forces chief of staff Gen. René Osorio Canales and presidential guard chief Gen. Andrés Felipe Díaz a week after the march.“We are in constant contact with this collective and we propose to set up a permanent alert system for its threatened representatives,” Reporters Without Borders said. “We urge them to share with us all the evidence, including recordings or statements, that could support the complaint they filed on 21 December. We reiterate that we hold the authorities directly responsible for the lives of these women journalists and those close to them.”Silvestrucci received a call on her mobile phone yesterday morning from an unidentified individual who told her: “We know that you have three children, that the oldest is 15, that at this moment you are walking down the street with your seven-year-old son and that the oldest is at home looking after the one-year-old baby, and we are going to kill you.”Three days earlier, Silvestrucci’s mother received a call from someone trying to find about Silvestrucci’s timetable, her movements, the places she frequents and the number of her mobile phone.Silvestrucci edits the online newspaper El Patriota and produces “En la plaza,” a programme broadcast every weekday morning on Radio Globo. She had just finished yesterday morning’s programme, about a controversial mining bill currently before parliament, when she received the call threatening her and her children.Both of the news media she works for voiced their opposition to the June 2009 coup d’état from the outset. The coup started a crackdown that has never stopped.Unnoticed mass killingsA total of 24 journalists have been killed in Honduras in the past decade, 17 of them since the coup. The police and judicial authorities have had little success in investigating any of these cases. Murders of citizens who provided information to the media or defended human rights and media pluralism also go unpunished.The latest victim in this category is Matías Valle, 55, a peasant community leader who was gunned down by two men on a motorcycle at a bus stop in the northern depart of Colón on 20 January, three days after the murder of Ricardo Rosales, a lawyer who had accused police in the northern town of Tela of serious human rights violations.Valle was a leading representative of the Aguán United Peasant Movement (MUCA), a group based in Aguán, a northern region racked by violent land disputes between agro-industrial companies and local peasant communities that has been under military control since 2010. He had repeatedly denounced the constant and often deadly harassment of the region’s peasant inhabitants. The Committee for Free Expression (C-Libre), a Reporters Without Borders partner organization, said that, because of the risks he took in talking to the media, he should in principle have been a beneficiary of “protective measures”. “If these protective measures had been properly implemented, Valle would not have been waiting alone at a bus stop and at the mercy of his killers,” Reporters Without Borders said. “His death must be added to the toll of the mass killings taking place out of sight in Aguán. At the very least, an international commission of enquiry with very broad powers should be dispatched to this region.”Reporters Without Borders pays tribute to Valle and to his personal courage in providing badly needed information about what has been taking place in Aguán. 2011-2020: A study of journalist murders in Latin America confirms the importance of strengthening protection policies RSF’s 2020 Round-up: 50 journalists killed, two-thirds in countries “at peace” Organisation January 24, 2012 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Women journalists terrorized, peasant spokesman gunned down in Aguán HondurasAmericas December 28, 2020 Find out more April 27, 2021 Find out more Receive email alerts HondurasAmericas Reports Follow the news on Honduras
continue reading » Businesses make advances in the fight against fraud, and then a billion new personal identity records get stolen, adding more fuel to the fire. This happened in 2018, according to Threatmatrix, and it signals continuing peril ahead.One fallout of these large breaches is rising synthetic identity, but that’s just scratching the surface. Fraud is shifting online and to mobile, mirroring where consumers are shopping and how they are connecting. As bankers employ artificial intelligence for defense, fraudsters use AI to create smarter attack bots. Social engineering attacks defraud thousands of consumers who move their money into fraudsters’ accounts for “safe keeping.” And, an increasing number of contact points through the Internet of Things and social media paves the way for fraudsters to further game your members.Protecting your members and reducing your risk requires executing a sound fraud-fighting strategy, starting with a holistic playbook. These five tactics represent key building blocks in creating a successful playbook. ShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr
Theo Walcott struck his 20th goal of the season after 20 seconds as Arsenal beat relegated QPR 1-0 to return to third place in the Barclays Premier League. Press Association Arsenal’s quickest Premier League goal and the swiftest of the season secured Arsene Wenger’s side a straightforward win. Loic Remy was denied by a fine Wojciech Szczesny save as the Gunners held on for a fifth successive away win saw to move two points clear of Chelsea, having played two games more, and Tottenham, who play at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday. Walcott, playing in the central role he has long coveted, troubled Rangers throughout and hit the post midway through the first half. Arsenal were seeking their first away win over QPR in the Premier League era and struck with the first attack. Tomas Rosicky crossed towards Aaron Ramsey, who headed down to Mikel Arteta. Arteta then threaded the ball through a static defence to Walcott, who had ghosted in behind and fired in a shot across goal and under Robert Green. Arsenal’s intricate play continued but QPR were also fashioning openings, but the final ball was often lacking. Walcott came close to his second when he breached the defence once more to latch on to a Rosicky pass and saw his shot turned on to the post by Green. Bobby Zamora, back from suspension, then set-up QPR’s best chance of the half, but Park Ji-sung blasted over. Andros Townsend was Rangers’ most lively player and twice troubled Szczesny early in the second half. Green parried clear a swerving Santi Cazorla drive and then turned a Walcott shot around the post. Seven minutes from time, QPR broke, with Zamora crossing for Remy, whose shot on the turn appeared destined for the far corner, only for Szczesny to save at full stretch. That was as good as it got for QPR as Arsenal saw out victory.
“I am delighted. It’s a very exciting occasion. We’ve had a few great weeks, and it has gone up another level since the Leicester boys and the Leinster boys came in. I am disappointed, obviously, for Sam. He has run a great ship the last few weeks.” Solitary Irishman O’Connell will take charge of a team containing nine Welshmen – including the entire back-row of Dan Lydiate, Justin Tipuric and Toby Faletau – three Scots and two English. And head coach Warren Gatland has also selected a powerful bench containing the likes of Cian Healy, Alun-Wyn Jones, Jamie Heaslip and Jonathan Sexton, which could be important given current sweltering temperatures and punishing humidity in Hong Kong. Gatland has described Wales flanker Warburton’s absence from the Baa-baas clash as “precautionary”. “Sam has just got a little knock,” Gatland said. “He has had a little bit of a sore knee for the last 10 days, and the medics have just given him an injection and said just to stay off it for about five days. He was desperate to play, but we felt just so early in the tour it was not worth the risk. “It is just precautionary, and there are two or three players in the same boat. Sean O’Brien has bruising on the bone, Rob Kearney’s hamstring is just a little bit tight and Gethin Jenkins’ calf is a little bit tight as well. They are all hopeful and confident of being fit for either the (Western) Force game next Wednesday or the game in Brisbane.” British and Irish Lions squad: S Hogg (Scotland); A Cuthbert (Wales), J Davies (Wales), J Roberts (Wales), S Maitland (Scotland); O Farrell (England), M Phillips (Wales); M Vunipola (England), R Hibbard (Wales), A Jones (Wales), R Gray (Scotland), P O’Connell (Ireland, capt), D Lydiate (Wales), J Tipuric (Wales), T Faletau (Wales). Replacements: T Youngs (England), C Healy (Ireland), M Stevens (England), A-W Jones (Wales), J Heaslip (Ireland), C Murray (Ireland), J Sexton (Ireland), G North (Wales). Paul O’Connell will seal his comeback from serious injury when he captains the British and Irish Lions in Saturday’s tour opener at Hong Kong Stadium. Only a few months ago, the 33-year-old Ireland lock did not expect to be part of what is now his third Lions mission. But with tour skipper Sam Warburton resting a knee injury, 2009 Lions captain O’Connell takes over as leader against the Barbarians. “I suppose around Christmas, and even two or three months after Christmas, I certainly thought I wouldn’t be here, so to be here and now captaining the side is fantastic,” said O’Connell, who was laid low by groin and back problems. Press Association
The best young athlete of Bosnia and Herzegovina in shot put Mesud Pezer, a member of the Athletic Club Zenica, has received another award for outstanding results and placement this year. The Association of Balkan Athletics Federations – ABAF declared Pezer the European junior champion in the shot put and the Balkan junior champion in shot put and disc, “The Coming of Star” or the best Balkan young athlete. (Source: Fena)
National Racing Club SweepstakesRainbow 6 JackpotStarts Race 9, Monday Jan. 4th 2016The National Racing Club Sweepstakes combines the rooting interest of National Racing Clubs with the exciting, fan friendly Rainbow 6 Jackpot wager guaranteed at $100,000!Highly competitive, action packed racing guaranteed.Starting on Monday Jan 4th and running for 6 weeks, the Rainbow 6 wager will be offered on the last 6 races of the Monday card.Should no single ticket take down the Jackpot, the prize pool will be forced out on Monday Feb 8th.Estimated Post Time of Race 9 and the start of the P-6 Sequence: 3:44 pm Pacific.Week 1 National Racing Club Sweepstakes to be run at 2 furlongs for Thoroughbreds.Participating jockeys are randomly assigned mounts and on top of the usual purse distributions, will earn points and compete for jockey day bonuses.All typical race pools to be offered plus the Rainbow 6 jackpot bet for the 6 race sequence.$0.10 base, $1 minimum40% to the single winner carryover pool22% takeout*ORC Rule OAR 462-200-0645 applies 1001 N. Schmeer Road, Portland, OR, 97217, United States 5032859144
The people of Annagry who were affected by this year’s wildfires will be featured in an RTE1 documentary Will Ireland Survive 2050, which airs tonight (Monday).Gorse fires tore through west Donegal in April and August this year, destroying land and homes.Both incidents required major fire service responses as crews and local people attempted to stop the raging flames. Tonight, RTE will focus on the April fires in Donegal when they meet local residents of Annagry to hear how the emergency impacted them.While there were no casualties in the spring fires, two homes were destroyed in the blaze.Annagry Fire – April 2019 .Photo by Brid SweeneyAnnagry Fire – April 2019 .Photo by Brid SweeneyWill Ireland Survive 2050? will be a dynamic and dramatically constructed examination of extreme global weather. Presented by weatherman Gerald Fleming and environmental scientist Dr Cara Augustenborg, the documentary will imagine what Ireland’s weather might be like in 2050 if climate change continues unchecked.To most Irish people, the effects of climate change have already become apparent. Will Ireland Survive 2050? includes interviews with scientists and visionaries, as well as Irish people on the ground who have been impacted by severe weather events.Gerard Fleming – Wild Ireland Survive 2050?The documentary also brings Gerald Fleming to Greenland, home to the second largest body of ice in the world.RTE’s popular former weather forecaster, who will be 93 in 2050, explains to viewers how the melting of that ice cap will have disastrous consequences for Irish weather and our way of life.See the documentary at 9.30pm on RTE One, Monday 11th NovemberAnnagry wildfires in focus in dramatic RTE climate doc was last modified: November 11th, 2019 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Will Ireland Survive 2050?
Email has become the communication tool of choice for many businesses. Because of that, studying an email trail can provide a clear snapshot of the history behind almost any business event. With the rise of regulatory compliance over the last five years, emails have become increasingly important and certain emails can be considered as company records and subject to the same rules and procedures that apply to any other type of company record. Over the last few years regulatory compliance has zeroed in on email management. Many high-profile legal cases have centered around the content discovered from company emails. The recent case of the White House trying to bypass the standard email system is just one example. The email trail is hard to cover up. Email is transmitted from one email server to another, but along the way copies of the email may be made on multiple machines. Deleting the file from a hard drive may not remove all traces of the contents from the drive. Electronic discovery and computer forensics to sleuth out traces of emails is now common.For good or for bad, one company has come up with a solution. Vaporstream has created a method that lets you send emails, but with no trace of the message left anywhere. No record is left on the sender or receiver’s computer. Messages reside only within their system and nowhere else. They can’t be forwarded or printed.Their solution works along-side of email systems. VaporStream provides an Internet browser-based hosted solution. They plan to have plugins that will work with Microsoft Outlook and support for Windows Mobile and the Blackberry. The technology is a kind of cross between IM and email.If ‘recordless email’ gains a following, it will be interesting to see the reaction from the US government.