More from newsCrowd expected as mega estate goes under the hammer7 Aug 2020Hard work, resourcefulness and $17k bring old Ipswich home back to life20 Apr 202047 Grainger Street, Wynnum WestMr Yates said the home’s classic charm was what made it so appealing to buyers.“I think it was the facade – the fact that it’s a character home, that made the difference,” Mr Yates said.“It was renovated about eight years ago but (the sellers) maintained it really well.”He said the suburb’s beautiful homes were what made Wynnum West such a popular suburb to live in.“There’s a lot of nice homes in the street. That adds to the value as well,” Mr Yates said.The home attracted the second highest sale in the Wynnum Herald region.The median sale price for a house in the suburb was $530,000, according to latest CoreLogic data. 47 Grainger Street, Wynnum WestA CHARMING old Queenslander at Wynnum West has sold for $684,500.Freedom Property agent Richie Yates said the home at 47 Grainger St attracted a lot of interest before a buyer sealed the deal earlier this month.“We had four offers in total on it,” Mr Yates said.“It was on the market for about nine weeks (but) because of the Christmas break, it took a little bit longer (to sell).”
49 Monaco St, Broadbeach Waters.Owners Trish and Paul Robinson had renowned architect Michael Witty design and build the two-storey home, where they have lived for the past 11 years.It took 19 months to build.It has four bedrooms, four-bathrooms, an open floorplan that flows seamlessly from inside out as well as plenty of soaring windows to admire the river and skyline views.The couple have lived on the same street for almost 35 years – 23 of which were in the house next door.The mansion was one of about 30 properties on the Gold Coast scheduled to go under the hammer on the weekend.A waterfront home at Mermaid Waters was one of a handful that sold at auction.John Henderson Professionals Mermaid Beach principal Andrew Henderson said the home at 6 Sundowner Court sold for $1.337 million to an interstate buyer.“Someone had a very good Mother’s day present,” he said.He marketed the property with the agency’s director and auctioneer, Luke Henderson. 49 Monaco St, Broadbeach Waters.There was one registered bidder but no offer was made, forcing the auctioneer to pass the home in at $3.4 million.Jordan Williams and Michael Kollosche, of Kollosche Prestige Agents, are marketing the property.Mr Kollosche said there were a few buyers interested in the home.He anticipated it would sell in a matter of days as a result.More from news02:37International architect Desmond Brooks selling luxury beach villa17 hours ago02:37Gold Coast property: Sovereign Islands mega mansion hits market with $16m price tag2 days ago“We’re still negotiating with three buyers,” Mr Kollosche said.“We’ve got two interstate buyers and one local.“With a bit of luck, we’ll get it sold in the next week.”The home has been likened to those in popular 60s television show The Jetsons because of its futuristic technology.It features “self-cleaning” glass, an integrated sound system, keyless entry, electric blinds and windows and sensor taps.A black marble water feature in the courtyard, electric awning for extra shade over a riverside alfresco area, 14-metre wet-edged pool, and temperature controlled wine room are also standout features. 49 Monaco St, Broadbeach Waters. 49 Monaco St, Broadbeach Waters.PROSPECTIVE buyers and spectators keen to sneak a peek came in droves to watch this spectacular riverfront home at Broadbeach Waters go under the hammer on the weekend.While the Monaco St mansion failed to sell, it is expected to be snapped up for a multimillion-dollar price in a matter of days.About 60 people crammed into its open kitchen, living and dining room while others spilt out onto the alfresco area to watch the auction unfold on Saturday afternoon. 49 Monaco St, Broadbeach Waters.
Facebook0Tweet0Pin0Well-educated and skilled young people add to our community’s vitality. They are critical to our area’s sustainability. The better informed students are of the choices they have after graduation, the better choices they will make for themselves.The business and education communities have partnered in creating Find Your Future to help youth explore future career paths. The event takes place on Saturday, March 10, 2012, from 10am – 1pm. There’s still time for teens to sign-up for this free event.Thurston County students (8-12 grade) and their parents are invited to attend. Find Your Future helps students consider various fields of interest in a fun and informative format.During the event, students will attend two breakout sessions led by area professionals while parents hear from several experts discussing topics ranging from financing college to assisting their students in career development. The event concludes with students and parents attending a Resource Fair of colleges, universities, and organizations that focus on career and educational information.This popular, every-other-year event typically draws a crowd of over 650 students and parents. There is no cost for either students or parents to attend.Find Your Future is a program of the Thurston County Chamber Foundation and is co-sponsored by Thurston County school districts.For further information visit the Find Your Future website, contact Alisha Blain or call 360.357.3362.
Facebook15Tweet0Pin0Submitted by South Sound YMCAThe South Sound YMCA is pleased to announce the election of Jon Jones, President and CEO of Washington Business Bank, as chairman of the nonprofit’s board of trustees. Jones will provide leadership to the 25-member board, which sets strategic direction and policy to guide the Y’s work of strengthening communities through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility.Jones succeeds Steve Hatton, President and Principal Engineer of Hatton Godat and Pantier. Commenting on Steve’s retirement as chair of the board, Jones said “Steve made a significant contribution to the South Sound Y during his tenure as the board chair. Steve has demonstrated an exceptional commitment to the Y that has made a very positive impact. I look forward to his continued service as a board member.”“The South Sound YMCA is thrilled to leverage Jon’s business acumen, community leadership, and strategic networking to enhance the health and well-being of children and families throughout the region,” said Kyle Cronk, President and CEO. “There is a direct relationship between organization achievement and board strength. We are fortunate to have Jon elected as chairman. It’s an exciting time for the South Sound YMCA.” Jones has been an active board member for the past several years. In addition to serving on the South Sound YMCA board of trustees and finance committees, Jones also served on the CEO search committee last fall when the outgoing President and CEO retired.“I am honored to be elected chairman of such a great community organization,” Jones said. “I am committed to trying to match our new CEO’s enthusiasm in helping the South Sound YMCA get to the next level in community awareness of our mission to ensure that everyone has the opportunity to learn, grow, and thrive.”Jones is a graduate of the University of Northern Iowa and the Pacific Coast Banking School at the University of Washington and is a resident of Olympia, where he has lived with his family for more than 25 years. Jon participated in Y sports while growing up and proudly passed along the tradition to his children.In addition to Jon’s election, three additional board members were elected to three year terms. They include: Vice-chair, Laurie Berryman, Wendy Holden, and Jerry Shaw.
The Kootenay Ice hasn’t had much to cheer about this B.C. Hockey Major Midget season.Until this past weekend in Prince George.The Ice came away with three of four points during a two-game set against the Cariboo Cougars.Kootenay took the opener 6-5 thanks to a game-winning goal by Nelson’s Aigne McGready-Bruce.Sunday, the Cougars rallied back to tie the Ice 4-4 with a third-period goal by Thomas Webster. “The bus broke down. We had to spend the night in Williams Lake . . .. It was a good old fashion road trip,” said Ice coach Rob Wright, who has experienced his share of crazy road trips during his long hockey career that spanned playing and coaching at the junior and senior ranks.Sunday, the Ice took a 4-3 lead into the third period on two goals by Nelson’s Sam Weber and singles from Logan Wullum of Creston and Nelson’s Austin Tambellini.Saturday, Weber continued his scoring weekend by netting another two goals to lead the Ice. Kadrian Klimchuk of Castlegar, Ross Armour, and Trevor Van Steinburg of Cranbrook added singles.Carson Schamerhorn and Jason Mailhiot, both of Trail, shared the netminding for Kootenay.“We had a great weekend,” Wright explained. “We want to get everybody on board, from parents to players and coaches, to prove this is a good playoff team — something that’s never happened before — and build the confidence of the team . . . it’s starting to get there.”Wright said the players are beginning to buy into his system.“We used our speed very well in both games,” Wright explained.“We got some good goaltending and stayed out of the penalty box the majority of the weekend and capitalized on some power plays which we haven’t done much of this season.”“We’re just starting to understand that if we work hard without the puck we’re going to be successful,” Wright added.Kootenay, 2-8-2 on the season, is back in the region this weekend to host Fraser Valley Thunderbirds in a two-game series at the NDCC Arena.Fraser Valley is just one point ahead of the Ice in league standings.The teams face off Saturday afternoon for a 12:30 p.m. puck drop.Sunday, game time is 10 a.m.“We’re really looking forward to these two games,” Wright said. “We took a couple of baby steps last weekend and now we want to take a few more (against Fraser Valley) and see if we can get some points from them.”
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest Warmer temperatures and drying fields mean more farmers are taking advantage of the mild weather to catch up on planting after delays earlier in the season kept many out of their fields.But those growers who still aren’t able to get their soybean crops in before June may need to make slight adjustments to their management plans, says a field crops expert in the College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences at The Ohio State University.After weather fluctuations during the growing season this year that have included freezing temperatures and snow flurries to sunny, 80-degree days to excess rain and cooler conditions that have left fields too wet to plant, many farmers need to catch up to get their crops in the ground, said Laura Lindsey, a soybean and small grains specialist with Ohio State University Extension.Across Ohio, as of the week ended May 22, only 22% of soybeans were planted, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s National Agricultural Statistics Service. That compares to 64% that had been planted by the same time last year and 46% that had been planted on average during the same time period over the past five years, the agency said.“While some growers in the northern part of the state were able to begin planting due to warmer weather, most growers throughout the rest of the state continued to delay planting as their fields were too wet for planting activities,” Cheryl Turner, Ohio State statistician with the agency, said in a written statement.In general, Ohio soybeans planted from May 1 through mid-May resulted in better yields, according to a study by researchers from OSU Extension and the Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center.But, Lindsey said, it’s not uncommon for some soybean planting to continue into June.“Planting conditions were much worse than usual with the rains experienced last week, while things this week seem to be drying out,” she said. “Thanks to the warmer weather, planting doesn’t look as bleak as it did before.”Lindsey said management recommendations don’t really change for growers who get their plants in before June. But those planting into June should increase their seeding rates or even adjust their relative maturity, she said.“For soybeans planted during the first half of June, a seeding rate of 200,000 to 225,000 seeds per acre is recommended,” she said. “When looking at relative maturity, a four-day delay in planting delays physiological maturity about one day, during the first half of June.“As planting is delayed, yield potential goes down, and there is concern about whether late-maturing varieties will mature before the first killing frost. So when planting late, growers should plant the latest-maturing variety that will reach physiological maturity before the first killing frost.”Row spacing is also a consideration, Lindsey said. While growers should plant soybeans in narrow rows, between 7.5 to 15 inches, it’s even more important to adhere to narrow rows when planting in June, she said.“This is so the crops can have adequate canopy closure, which increases light interception, improves weed control by shading out weeds, and helps retain soil moisture,” Lindsey said.While it’s optimal to get soybeans planted in early to mid-May as soil temperature and moisture allows, the planting date is only one part of what determines soybean yields, she said.“Planting is just half the battle — yield really depends on what happens with the weather during the rest of the season,” Lindsey said. “One of the really critical times in terms of yields is during seed fill, which happens in August.“For example, while many soybean plants were stunted during the height of the 2012 drought, the plants were able to partially recover thanks to rainfall in August and September that worked to promote seed fill.”
MONTREAL – Montreal-based dairy giant Saputo Inc. announced Thursday it has reached a $1.29-billion agreement to acquire Australia’s Murray Goulburn Co-Operative Co. Limited.The Australian dairy company produces products for the international market under the Devondale, Liddells and Murray Goulburn Ingredients brands.Murray Goulburn makes a variety of dairy products including milk, milk powder, cheese, butter and infant formula.Saputo said the agreement has been unanimously recommended by Murray Goulburn’s board of directors and is subject to shareholder approval.The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission also needs to approve the deal.Saputo (TSX:SAP) said it expects the transaction to close in the first half of 2018.
MONTREAL – A series of deadly hurricanes that whipped through parts of the Caribbean last fall is going to have a damaging impact on the winter results of tour operator Transat A.T. Inc., its senior executives said Thursday.The Montreal-based company said in December that it didn’t expect to feel the brunt of September’s hurricanes, but its assessment has changed.“If numbers remain what they are today we will not improve our results in the second quarter versus the one of last year,” chief financial officer Denis Petrin told reporters after the company’s annual meeting.Analyst Cameron Doerksen of National Bank Financial said Transat’s forecast for $1.5 million in earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amoritization in the second quarter is down from the $16 million anticipated by analysts.Transat took a $5-million hurricane hit in the first quarter and expects another $10 million to $15 million in the second quarter because of changed travel patterns resulting from the storms.“What happened in the last three months is that the people that normally are interested in the Cuba destination did not show up,” Petrin said.Travel to Cuba accounts for about one quarter of the airline’s seats to sun destinations. Bad publicity that included images of destruction prompted many Canadians to vacation in other locations. Airlines shifted some capacity to places like Mexico, which forced operators like Transat to lower prices to compete, thereby reducing their profits, he said.Canadian travellers have shied away from Cuba even though all the sun destinations that Transat serves except St. Maarten and San Juan were repaired in January, added chief operating officer Annick Guerard.She said demand for Cuba should come back at some point because it remains a favourite Canadian destination with attractive prices and great beaches.Transat introduced its five-year strategic plan Thursday that will aim to cut an unspecified amount of costs on top of $105 million realized in its previous plan. It also plans to build a hotel network with 5,000 rooms.The company will seek existing hotels to patch up, but will mainly purchase land and build 4.5 and five-star waterfront resorts in Mexico’s Riviera Maya, Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic and probably Jamaica.Transat is also surveying other airlines for examples of gaining more revenues from ancillary fees such as checked baggage, reserved seating and other measures already in place in Canada.The tour company, which operates Transat, missed expectations in its seasonally slow first quarter as its net loss attributable to shareholders was $6.6 million, compared with $32.1 million in the prior year.Excluding one-time items including the $48.2-million sale of its Jonview Canada Inc. subsidiary, Transat had an adjusted loss for the period ended Jan. 31 of $33.9 million or 91 cents per share. That compared with an adjusted loss of $36 million or 98 cents per share in the first quarter of its 2017 financial year.Revenues rose to $725.8 million from $689.3 million on a 6.2 per cent increase in the number of travellers to sun destinations and 20.3 per cent to Europe.Transat was expected on average to post an adjusted loss of 78 cents per share in the quarter on $739.7 million in revenues, according to analysts polled by Thomson Reuters.Follow @RossMarowits on Twitter.Companies in this story: (TSX:TRZ)
Kolkata: The family members of a 4-month-old infant who died due to alleged medical negligence at Dr B C Roy Hospital on Tuesday, staged a demonstration demanding action against those responsible behind his death.The incident triggered tension among the patients and their family members inside the hospital campus on Tuesday morning. The infant, identified as Ankon Tarafdar, a resident of Ghoshpara area of Kestopur, was admitted to the hospital on March 4 as he had been suffering from high fever. The infant was taken to the ICU on Saturday night as his condition deteriorated. On Sunday night, the health condition of the baby deteriorated further as a result of which the doctors decided to shift him to a pediatric intensive care unit (PICU). All the efforts of the doctors went in vain when the patient succumbed to his ailments on late Monday night. The patient was suffering from acute pneumonia. As the news of the patient’s death spread, some of his family members gathered outside the hospital and staged a protest demonstration. After being informed, police reached the spot. Immediately, the family members gheraoed the police officers. Senior police officers later brought the situation under control. The family members of the victim alleged on Tuesday that the patient had died due to the negligence of some doctors and nurses in the hospital. They also demanded a probe into the incident. Had the doctors taken preventive measures, the patient would not have died, alleged the patient’s relatives. According to the police, no one was manhandled in the incident and no property was damaged during the demonstration. Police have not yet received any specific complaint from any side.