Women journalists terrorized, peasant spokesman gunned down in Aguán

first_imgNews to go further News News RSF_en May 13, 2021 Find out more RSF begins research into mechanisms for protecting journalists in Latin America Help by sharing this information Gilda Silvestrucci (photo) has become the latest member of the “Journalists for Life and Free Expression” collective to get threatening phone calls, following Itsmania Pineda Platero, who received a series of threatening calls earlier this month.The two women, along with a number of other journalists, organized a march on 13 December that was violently dispersed outside the presidential palace in Tegucigalpa. The purpose of their march was to protest against free speech violations and impunity for those responsible.Silvestrucci has been constantly followed ever since she and 14 other women members of the collective filed a complaint against President Porfirio Lobo Sosa, armed forces chief of staff Gen. René Osorio Canales and presidential guard chief Gen. Andrés Felipe Díaz a week after the march.“We are in constant contact with this collective and we propose to set up a permanent alert system for its threatened representatives,” Reporters Without Borders said. “We urge them to share with us all the evidence, including recordings or statements, that could support the complaint they filed on 21 December. We reiterate that we hold the authorities directly responsible for the lives of these women journalists and those close to them.”Silvestrucci received a call on her mobile phone yesterday morning from an unidentified individual who told her: “We know that you have three children, that the oldest is 15, that at this moment you are walking down the street with your seven-year-old son and that the oldest is at home looking after the one-year-old baby, and we are going to kill you.”Three days earlier, Silvestrucci’s mother received a call from someone trying to find about Silvestrucci’s timetable, her movements, the places she frequents and the number of her mobile phone.Silvestrucci edits the online newspaper El Patriota and produces “En la plaza,” a programme broadcast every weekday morning on Radio Globo. She had just finished yesterday morning’s programme, about a controversial mining bill currently before parliament, when she received the call threatening her and her children.Both of the news media she works for voiced their opposition to the June 2009 coup d’état from the outset. The coup started a crackdown that has never stopped.Unnoticed mass killingsA total of 24 journalists have been killed in Honduras in the past decade, 17 of them since the coup. The police and judicial authorities have had little success in investigating any of these cases. Murders of citizens who provided information to the media or defended human rights and media pluralism also go unpunished.The latest victim in this category is Matías Valle, 55, a peasant community leader who was gunned down by two men on a motorcycle at a bus stop in the northern depart of Colón on 20 January, three days after the murder of Ricardo Rosales, a lawyer who had accused police in the northern town of Tela of serious human rights violations.Valle was a leading representative of the Aguán United Peasant Movement (MUCA), a group based in Aguán, a northern region racked by violent land disputes between agro-industrial companies and local peasant communities that has been under military control since 2010. He had repeatedly denounced the constant and often deadly harassment of the region’s peasant inhabitants. The Committee for Free Expression (C-Libre), a Reporters Without Borders partner organization, said that, because of the risks he took in talking to the media, he should in principle have been a beneficiary of “protective measures”. “If these protective measures had been properly implemented, Valle would not have been waiting alone at a bus stop and at the mercy of his killers,” Reporters Without Borders said. “His death must be added to the toll of the mass killings taking place out of sight in Aguán. At the very least, an international commission of enquiry with very broad powers should be dispatched to this region.”Reporters Without Borders pays tribute to Valle and to his personal courage in providing badly needed information about what has been taking place in Aguán. 2011-2020: A study of journalist murders in Latin America confirms the importance of strengthening protection policies RSF’s 2020 Round-up: 50 journalists killed, two-thirds in countries “at peace”center_img Organisation January 24, 2012 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Women journalists terrorized, peasant spokesman gunned down in Aguán HondurasAmericas December 28, 2020 Find out more April 27, 2021 Find out more Receive email alerts HondurasAmericas Reports Follow the news on Honduraslast_img read more

Could SAT and ACT scores become a thing of the past?

first_imgiStock/Thinkstock(CHICAGO) — After the University of Chicago announced late last week it’s scrapping a requirement for applicants to submit SAT or ACT test scores, some experts predict other colleges may soon do the same.“I know other schools will follow,” Bob Schaeffer, public education director at the nonprofit National Center for Fair and Open Testing, told Good Morning America. “It’s a huge trend.”“Evidence shows that there are better ways to determine which applicants are likely to succeed as undergraduates,” Schaeffer said. “You don’t need the ACT or SAT test to do that. High school record predicts undergraduate success and graduation better than any test has ever done.”The University of Chicago’s vice president and dean of admissions, James G. Nondorf, touted the new test-optional application process as a way for the school to become more accessible for “under-resourced and underrepresented students.”The school’s revamped admissions process and new financial aid initiative “levels the playing field, allowing first-generation and low-income students to use technology and other resources to present themselves as well as any other college applicant,” Nondorf said in a statement. “We want students to understand the application does not define you — you define the application.”Schaeffer argued that “non-academic” factors such as extracurricular activities, leadership skills, community service and “whether you’ve overcome obstacles in your life,” are also often key indicators of whether a student will thrive at a university.“Most of that is ignored when filling out bubbles on a Saturday morning, which is all those tests are,” he said.As the standardized test-prep tutoring industry has also grown into a multimillion-dollar industry, many question how equitable the tests are for low-income students who can’t afford the extra coaching.The College Board, the organization that publishes and develops the SAT, told ABC News that it’s continuing to “help students clear a path to college across a changing college admission landscape.”“With our members,” the organization said in a statement, “we redesigned the SAT to make it a more fair test for all students, and we revolutionized test prep with free, personalized practice. We will always bet on students and firmly believe that all students can practice, improve and show they’re ready for college.”A report published this year by the National Association for College Admission Counseling, a trade group of more than 16,000 college counselors and admissions professionals, looked at 28 schools that have adopted a test-optional policy. Researchers found a majority of the institutions reported an increase in overall applications as well as an increase in applications from students with more diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds traditionally underrepresented in college populations.Schools that go test-optional “can choose from a better pool that better reflects where the United States is,” Schaeffer said. Moreover, “it creates pathways for college degrees for many kids that would have been shut out.”Going test-optional also does not necessarily hurt those who performed well on standardized tests, according to Schaeffer, but rather gives students the choice to submit their scores only if they feel it helps their application.“A kid who has very high SAT and ACT scores and a weak academic record can still apply with those test scores,” he said.A test-optional application simply “allows teenagers to put their best foot forward,” Schaeffer said. “If it’s test scores, so be it. But if it’s not test scores, it’s not a barrier for them.”The ACT told ABC News in a statement that it “respects the right of each institution to establish the admission policies that best meet the needs of the college and its students,” but urged institutions considering going test-optional to “determine whether or not students and the institution will benefit from such a move.”“We believe — and research suggests — that ACT scores add meaningful insight and significant value above and beyond other predictors of success in the college admission decision process,” the statement added. “ACT scores provide a common, standardized metric that allows colleges to evaluate students who attend different high schools, live in different states, complete difference courses with different teachers and receive different grades on a level playing field.”The ACT added, “Comparing students based on widely different sources of information with no common metric increases the subjectivity of admissions decisions.”Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Fox News apologizes for chart of stock gains after black killings

first_imgOther media have pointed out that financial markets tend to rebound after periods of social unrest, including Fortune magazine. Topics : “We apologize for the insensitivity of the image & take this issue seriously.”The chart stirred outrage at a time when thousands of people nationwide have taken part in mass protests against racism and police brutality following the death of Floyd at the hands of a white officer.”This graphic makes it clear that @FoxNews does not care about black lives,” Illinois Congressman Bobby Rush said on Twitter.”This is how they mourn the loss of black men at #FoxNews — by how much the stock market goes up. What. The. Hell!,” former Republican National Committee chair Michael Steele tweeted.center_img Fox News has apologized for airing a graphic showing how stock markets had responded after high-profile acts of violence against black men, including the assassination of Martin Luther King Jnr and the recent killing of George Floyd.The chart appeared Friday on “Special Report with Bret Baier” and showed how markets had risen after the 1968 killing of the civil rights leader, the acquittal of police involved in the 1991 beating of Rodney King, and the deaths of teenager Michael Brown in 2014 and Floyd.”The infographic used on FOX News Channel’s Special Report to illustrate market reactions to historic periods of civil unrest should have never aired on television without full context,” the cable channel said in a statement Saturday retweeted by Baier without comment.last_img read more

Migrants gather on Guatemala border to enter Mexico en masse

first_imgMost of the migrants withdrew to TecunUman to await the arrival of more travelers behind them in the hope they standa better chance of progressing in one caravan. TECUN UMAN – Hundreds of CentralAmericans gathered on the Guatemala-Mexico border on Sunday, aiming to cross enmasse early on Monday. United States (US) President DonaldTrump threatened to hurt Mexico and Central American countries economically ifthey allow large numbers of migrants to reach the US border.(Reuters) Migrants from Central America, part of a caravan travelling to the United States, wait to cross into Mexico in El Ceibo, Guatemala on Jan. 18. REUTERS/VICTOR PENA Small groups of migrants crossed thebridge from Tecun Uman, Guatemala, to Ciudad Hidalgo, Mexico, on Saturday.last_img

GFF in search of venue to host Jamaica

first_imgTHE Guyana Football Federation (GFF) is hoping that a delegation from the CFU, expected in the country next week, will give a nod of approval for the use of the Leonora Stadium when Guyana meets Jamaica in a 3rd round Men’s Senior Scotia Bank Championship encounter on October 11th.As it is, the fixture is without a venue, since the only FIFA approved facility in the country, the Providence Stadium, is unavailable due to works being currently conducted on the field for the upcoming Regional Professional Cricket League.The GFF, in an attempt to have the match played here, as it has been scheduled, dispatched a correspondence to the CFU office last week, explaining the predicament and seeking approval for the alternative venue to be used.General Secretary of the CFU, Antiguan Neil Cochrane,told Chronicle Sport that a delegation will be arriving in Guyana this coming week for an inspection of the Leonora Stadium,where the size of the ground is smaller than the Providence Stadium. There are also security concerns for both players and officials, as well as fans.Guyana surrendered home turf advantage in the second round of the competition played in June, as the Providence facility was unavailable due to International cricket. The game was played in Curacao, who took the home advantage on an artificial turf, and Guyana lost 5-2.The Golden Jaguars rebounded with an emphatic demolition of the USVI to advance to the 3rd round, but since then nothing has happened for the national selection with regards to preparations; and the Federation has been very tight lipped.With just over three weeks before the team travels to Suriname,for an October 8th meeting to begin their 3rd round campaign, a squad is yet to be named.Add to that the uncertainty of where the game versus Jamaica will be played, and you can understand how under-prepared we are, going into this important round of matches.(Ras Wadada)last_img read more