Round-up: Hazard in line for start and Onuoha could miss four months

first_imgEmbed from Getty ImagesEden Hazard is in line for a return to the Chelsea starting line-up for Wednesday’s EFL Cup match against Nottingham Forest. Hazard, who had ankle surgery during the summer, has not started a match for the Blues so far this season.The Belgian’s latest appearance as a substitute came in Sunday’s goalless draw with Arsenal and Chelsea boss Antonio Conte looks likely to include him from the start against Forest.“I think in the last 20 minutes Hazard played very well,” said Conte.“Now on Wednesday he has the possibility to start against Forest and then to complete his recovery. We hope everything is okay after this (Arsenal) game.” Chelsea youngsters’ comebackEmbed from Getty ImagesCallum Hudson-Odoi scored a late equaliser as Chelsea’s Under-23 side came back from two down to draw 2-2 with Manchester United.The young Blues trailed with 18 minutes of the Premier League 2 match at Aldershot remaining.Hudson-Odoi hit the post early on and Chelsea were on top before Tosin Kehinde scored against the run of play eight minutes before half-time.James Wilson headed United further ahead early in the second half but the home side battled on.They had a strong shout for a penalty waved away when Hudson-Odoi seemed to be fouled in the box.And they were eventually rewarded for their persistence when Hudson-Odoi back-heeled the ball towards Issac Christie-Davies, who fired home.The outstanding Hudson-Odoi netted with a cool finish eight minutes from time to earn a draw. Wilkins calls for Costa returnEmbed from Getty ImagesRay Wilkins believes Chelsea should recall Diego Costa and play him as well as Alvaro Morata.Speaking on Sky Sports News, Wilkins insisted the out-of-favour Costa should be in London with the rest of the Blues squad.Wilkins said: “When I look at Diego Costa and I look at Morata I see a better footballer in Morata – better control, better movement and probably quicker.“But when I look at the beast, in Costa, and what he gives you – he upsets people – I’d sooner have Costa than Morata.“Why we haven’t got both, I don’t know. Costa still has, is it one or two years left on his contract? He should be at Stamford Bridge.“We should be using both of them and then we would have a proper strikeforce.“I cannot for the life of me see why Costa is still on the beach in Brazil playing five-a-side with his mates.“He’s still a Chelsea footballer and he should be back here in London.” Onuoha out for up to four monthsEmbed from Getty ImagesQPR captain Nedum Onuoha might be out for four months with a torn hamstring. Boss Ian Holloway said after Saturday’s 3-2 defeat at Middlesbrough that Onuoha, 30, was facing three months on the sidelines.But Rangers believe the defender could be out for slightly longer, perhaps not returning until the new year, depending on how quickly the injury heals. Onuoha, who requires an operation, suffered the injury during last week’s draw at home to Millwall.It leaves the R’s with serious problems in defence because James Perch is out with a long-term knee injury and Grant Hall and Steven Caulker are also unavailable.However, Joel Lynch is seemingly close to a return following a hamstring problem. QPR youngsters loseQPR’s development side lost 4-1 at Sheffield Wednesday on Monday afternoon.It ended the Under-23s’ 100% record this season – they had won all five of their previous matches, scoring 17 goals in the process.The visitors trailed 2-0 at the interval and Dan Darbyshire pulled a goal back early in the second half before Wednesday scored two more. Mepham’s new dealBrentford boss Dean Smith says Wales Under-21 international defender Chris Mepham can challenge for a regular first-team spot after signing a new five-year contract at Griffin Park.“Chris has shown a real progression during the last 12 months and is developing into a player that we believe can get to a high standard,” Smith said.“With a fierce determination and excellent attitude to go with his footballing ability, we are pleased that he has chosen to continue his development with Brentford. I fully expect him to be pushing the senior centre-backs within the first team.” No Edwards for Spurs tieEmbed from Getty ImagesTottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino says Marcus Edwards will not be involved in the EFL Cup game against Barnsley.The highly-rated Edwards, 18, made his senior debut in the competition a year ago and has not made a first-team appearance since.Youngster Tashan Oakley-Boothe could feature at Wembley after being named in the squad for Tuesday’s tie.But Pochettino says Edwards is building his fitness and confidence following an ankle injury and is not in contention to play against the Tykes.“Last season was difficult for him. He was injured and then he had an operation,” Pochettino said.“He dropped a little bit, but that is normal after nearly one season that he didn’t play. Now he is building his confidence again.“I think we need to wait a little bit for him to build his physical condition and his confidence more. He’s better playing in the Under-23s. Holden confident he can progressMiddlesex teenager Max Holden says the club’s track record of promoting youth convinced him he would be handed a chance in the first team.The 19-year-old batsman made his senior debut for the club in their severely rain-affected County Championship Division One draw against Hampshire at Uxbridge.“I’ve played with those guys in the second XI, so of course it was pleasing to see them progress and it gave me confidence that if I kept working hard, the opportunity would come,” said Holden.“It shows the path is definitely there for guys who work hard and score runs in the seconds. [Managing director of cricket] Gus Fraser has said that previously – if young guys perform, they will be backed. Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img read more

A Proposed Passivhaus Amendment for New England

first_imgThere has been no shortage of discussion lately about modifying the Passivhaus standard to make it more adaptable to, and address more precisely, regional climate conditions.Passive House Institute U.S. is exploring ways to fine tune the Passivhaus heating and cooling requirement, and possibly impose a load requirement for dehumidification, to enable Passivhaus builders to cost-effectively address the variety of climate conditions in North America. That initiative prompted architect and Passivhaus consultant Hayden Robinson to suggest in an online petition that PHIUS use a name other than Passive House for its certifications should the group’s requirements deviate from those of the existing Passivhaus standard.While the debate over the appropriate use of the name Passive House has been lively, it doesn’t seem to have curtailed suggestions from those who believe the standard is extremely valuable but also in need of improvement. A case in point is a document titled “Proposed New England Passivehouse Amendment,” which was posted online on March 31 by energy efficiency specialist Marc Rosenbaum.A focus on primary energyRosenbaum identifies what he believes are five principal deficiencies of the Passivhaus standard: RELATED ARTICLES Redefining Passivhaus A Petition Strives to Defend a Certain Definition of ‘Passive House’ The Passivhaus Institut in Germany Disowns Its U.S. Satellite The American Passive House Institute Responds to Dr. FeistRound 3: Wolfgang Feist Discusses the PHI-PHIUS SplitPassivhaus Combatants Continue To Speak OutPossible Relaxation of Passivhaus Standard Stirs Debate PHIUS Tries to Trademark ‘Certified Passive House Consultant’PHIUS Draws a Line in the SandA Bridge Over Passivhaus Waters â— The standard’s annual heating demand and annual cooling demand (AHD and ACD) limits are the same for all regions, leading to extreme solutions in severe climates.â— Meeting the AHD requirement in severe climates diverts focus from the overall primary energy consumption of the building and its occupants.â— The Passivhaus standard limits are set per unit of usable floor area, which means large houses meet the standard more easily than small ones. That creates a perverse incentive to build big houses. Accordingly, the standard sidesteps the core issue of resource-use equity.â— The standard counts solar input from direct-gain solar heating and solar thermal hot water, but it does not allow solar electricity to be used in meeting the standard.â— The standard does not require performance reporting beyond a blower-door test that shows a maximum of 0.6 air changes at 50 Pascals.Addressing these issues, Rosenbaum points out, means focusing more on primary energy consumption (PEC) per person and less on the building’s annual heating demand (AHD). A focus on AHD – the most challenging criterion of the Passivhaus standard – leads to “extreme solutions” that are not only costly but diminish the attention that should be paid to PEC.An AHD-centric approach, he says, “can lead to buildings with excess south glazing, with increased heating season temperature swings (and higher cost). It can lead to quantities of insulation that likely exceed any defensible rationale when compared to investments in renewable energy.”The Passivhaus standard’s AHD, he adds, is based on the idea of lowering the design heating load enough to deliver heat via the home’s ventilation air system – 10W per square meter, which in the climate of central Germany, where Passivhaus concepts were developed, yields 15 kWh per square meter per year. In New England’s climate, it is “extremely challenging” to push the annual design heating load down to 10W/m2, Rosenbaum says.Key features of the amendmentHe contends that building comfort and durability can be achieved with less aggressive levels of insulation than those that would be required to meet the existing Passivhaus AHD criterion. The shift in focus should be to a design heating demand (DHD) limit of 30W/m2 (or 9.5 btu/hr/ft2) based on treated floor area — which, he says, better reflects the fact that primary energy consumption attributable to heating in New England is 25% to 30% of total PEC.The standard’s annual cooling demand criterion would be eliminated for New England because cooling in the region accounts for too small an amount of overall energy usage. Rosenbaum adds, though, that a separate dehumidification calculation (as yet to be developed) should be incorporated into the PEC calculation.As mentioned, the amendment makes PEC the principal focus of the New England amendment, with the PEC limit set according to the number of bedrooms — a surrogate for the number of occupants — in the building rather than setting energy-use limits according to total usable floor area. This per-person budget for energy consumption is intended to help address the fact that, under the current criteria, it is more difficult for smaller houses to meet the Passivhaus standard than it is for larger homes.With the AHD and ACD limits eliminated, the design heating demand limit, based on treated floor area, is 30W/m2. (Rosenbaum notes that this is the limit before solar and internal heat gains are calculated, and so is not directly comparable to the 10W/m2 limit shown in the Passive House Planning Package worksheet, which shows net heating load after those gains are added.)Other key features of the amendment: the domestic hot water limit per occupant is raised to 10 gallons per day from the German limit of 6.6 gpd; photovoltaic power can count for as much as 20% of the primary energy consumption limit (each kilowatt of PV offsets 2kW of primary energy); the dehumidification load is added; and certification is renewed annually based on energy use data.Calculations and expectationsRosenbaum developed an algorithm to calculate the PEC limits — in kWh per year and million btu (MMbtu) per year (see table above) — based on the number of bedrooms in the project. He also describes the processes for calculating design heating demand, annual cooling demand, domestic hot water, and auxiliary electricity and electricity for appliances, lighting, and plug loads – all as they would apply to the Passive House Planning Package program. The data, added together, show total primary energy usage, which can then be compared to the PEC limit for that particular project.Rosenbaum, who founded Energysmiths consultancy, in West Tisbury, Massachusetts, to advance design and construction strategies that make buildings more energy efficient, notes that the Passivhaus standard has been modified to both suit climate conditions in other countries and focus more tightly on primary energy consumption.But he also observes that his proposed amendment is unlikely to be adopted in eager, speedy fashion by existing Passivhaus organizations (including Passive House New England). Nor does he delve into concerns about whether modified Passivhaus criteria should carry the name Passive House. He does hope, however, that his ideas precipitate useful discussions about the standard’s benefits and weaknesses.“At the least,” he writes, “the aspiration is that this proposal may guide a well-focused and thoughtful exploration of how to live ethically and effectively on this planet for practitioners and clients, rather than aiming blindly at what are ultimately arbitrary numbers despite our best intentions.”last_img read more

Musical Legend KBs Latest Save The Bays Release Das What Real Bahamians

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppNassau, 07 Mar 2016 – Kirkland ‘KB’ Bodie, the musical artist who delivers tough messages to catchy rhythm and rhyme, released his latest Youtube salvo yesterday, taking aim at the government for threatening to replace important land use legislation with a weaker act that he fears fails to protect land or life. The song ‘Das What Real Bahamians Do’, written, performed and produced by ‘KB’, is the latest in a litany of the musician’s lyrics for the environmental movement Save The Bays and like the others, it puts the conscience of a country on notice.“Past songs like ‘Hold dey feet to da fire’ were important because they set the tone, making the point that people need to ask for and demand accountability,” said KB. “But today’s release dealing with the Planning and Subdivision Act was far more challenging. How do you make land use rights and responsibilities sexy? How do make the need for an environmental impact assessment for all developments something people relate to, make it fun, and translate the importance of the right to public consultation into a language that makes people care?”The Act has been a priority issue for Save The Bays, the grass roots environmental organization that has nearly 20,000 followers and friends on Facebook. Environmental attorney and consultant Romi Ferreira, a director of Save The Bays, has been spreading the message of the need to keep the 2010 legislation, speaking to Rotary and other civic organisations, appearing on radio talk shows, at public forums and in paid ‘Say No to PSA’ radio and print ads.“This bill, the 2015 Planning and Subdivision Act that would replace the 2010 Act that we all fought so hard for and was agreed upon, an Act that was passed unanimously, takes away the rights of Bahamians,” said Ferreira. “It takes away the right to be consulted. It is the legitimate expectation of a community to be consulted, to express its opinions and concerns and for those opinions and concerns to be considered before a decision is rendered that will alter that community’s future.”Under the proposed legislation, basic rights of public consultation would vanish and the decision to require an environmental impact assessment would be in the hands of a Cabinet Minister for developments of more than 100 lots despite The Bahamas having signed on to a global agreement to the contrary. The 100-lot scenario, says Ferreira, would only encourage developers to build in phases, 99 lots at a time.While Ferreira looks at the proposed legislation through the eyes of a senior lawyer who has taken environmental and public consultation cases all the way to the Privy Council in London, KB is hoping to get the message across in a way that touches a nerve with a beat that people can’t get out of their heads.“I don’ get it,” sings KB. “I don’t understand, why the government does give away our land…Y’all voted yes on the PSA, now ‘dat y’all in power, you wanna’ take it way…You shouldn’t change the rules when they don’t suit you, you shouldn’t change the law just for the few.”Save The Bays, which sponsors the music with a message and the production of videos appealing to tens of thousands of viewers, has picked up the pace for public online involvement of the environmental movement while partnering with several organisations that have long track records in environmental resource management. A petition to keep the 2010 Planning and Subdivision Act is on its website at www.savethebays.bs and a separate petition calling for Freedom of Information legislation and an environmental protection act along with other measures has already attracted nearly 7,000 signatures. Environmentalist warns of a third possible Rubis leak Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Recommended for you Gov’t urged to deal swiftly with Clifton oil pollution Related Items:KB, kirkland bodie, Save The Bays Government ‘jumped the gun’ over Rubis leak riskslast_img read more

SDPD holds Ocean Beach town hall on recent string of arson and

first_img Updated: 10:35 PM January 16, 2018 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek  . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsOCEAN BEACH (KUSI) — It may be the most laid-back beach town in Southern California, but the people of Ocean Beach are not laying back anymore. Not in this case.After a series of arson fires that began in December, the O.B. Town Council called an emergency meeting get a progress report. Unfortunately, there isn’t a whole lot to report.We do know, someone torched at least 8-different spots, all of them in the ally ways. We also know we got lucky. The fires did not spread to nearby homes. The arsonist did, however, torch two motor-homes, two cars, a motorcycle and a carport.Since all the fires happened in the ally’s, only one location had a surveillance camera and the image was not clear enough to get a close look at the criminal. So the arsonist is still out there, somewhere.At this point, people in O.B. are being told to clear their allies of flammable materials. Also, install cameras, if they can afford it.Since police cannot be all places at all times, this is also a prime time for “community policing.” You’ve heard the saying, ‘if you see something, say something.”Even though there has not been a fire in about a month, the culprit is still out there and considered very dangerous.There is now a $1000-dollar reward, put forward by the people of O.B. and the Ocean Beach Town Council. Posted: January 16, 2018 Categories: Local San Diego News Tags: Ocean Beach, San Diego Police Department FacebookTwittercenter_img Dan Plante, Dan Plante SDPD holds Ocean Beach town hall on recent string of arson and vandalismlast_img read more