Two recently issued guidance documents, one from FINCEN the other from NCUA, are intended to provide assistance to credit unions and other financial institutions in ensuring that their BSA programs appropriately address the impact of these drugs on banking services. I’ll leave it up to you to decide for yourselves how helpful you actually find them.First, there is the interim guidance issued by the NCUA providing an update and overview of the legality of providing hemp-related banking services. The guidance was issued as NCUA and other banking regulators face increasing pressure from Members of Congress who continue to hear complaints from home state hemp farmers in states like Kentucky that banking services are still difficult to secure.The confusion on the part of the famers stems from the fact that late last year Congress included removing hemp from the Schedule I list of controlled substances in the 2018 Farm Bill. However, even though hemp is no longer on the list, the Department of Agriculture is responsible for promulgating regulations outlining the responsibility of states and Indian tribes that wish to make hemp production legal. continue reading » ShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr
Categories: Editorial, OpinionWASHINGTON — The first use of nuclear weapons occurred Aug. 6, 1945. The second occurred three days later.That there has not been a third is testimony to the skill and sobriety of 12 presidents and many other people, here and abroad.Today, however, North Korea’s nuclear bellicosity coincides with the incontinent tweeting, rhetorical taunts and other evidence of the frivolity and instability of the 13th president of the nuclear era. A long train of precedents tends to legitimate — although not justify — practices, and this nation has engaged in many wars since it last declared war on June 5, 1942 (when, to satisfy wartime legalities, it did so against Hungary, Bulgaria and Romania).Over many decades, Congress has become — has largely made itself — a bystander regarding war.Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., says, “If we have to go to war to stop this, we will.”By “this” does he means North Korea’s possession of nuclear weapons, which it has had for 11 years? Or ICBMs, which it is rapidly developing?If so, Graham must think war is coming, because there is no reason to think that North Korea’s regime will relinquish weapons it deems essential to its single priority: survival.As Vladimir Putin says, North Korea would rather “eat grass.”U.S. actions have taught this regime the utility, indeed the indispensability, of such weapons. Would America have invaded Saddam Hussein’s Iraq if he had possessed them? Would America have participated in destroying Libya’s regime in 2011 if, soon after Saddam’s overthrow, Moammar Gadhafi had not agreed to abandon his nuclear weapons program?North Korea, says Trump, is a “situation we will handle” — “we will take care of it.”Does “we” denote deliberative and collaborative action by the legislative and executive branches?Or is “we” the royal plural from the man whose general approach to governance is, “I alone can fix it”?Trump’s foreign policy thinking (“In the old days, when you won a war, you won a war.You kept the country”; we should “bomb the shit out of [ISIS]”) is short on nuance but of Metternichian subtlety compared to his thoughts on nuclear matters: “I think, for me, nuclear is just the power, the devastation is very important to me.”A U.S. war of choice against North Korea would not be a pre-emptive war launched to forestall an imminent attack. His almost daily descents from the previous day’s unprecedentedly bad behavior are prompting urgent thinking about the constitutional allocation of war responsibilities, and especially about authority to use U.S. nuclear weapons.Last month, for the first time in 41 years, a congressional hearing examined the Atomic Energy Act of 1946 that gives presidents sole authority.There was serious discussion of whether a particular presidential order for their use might not be “legal” — necessary, proportionate.But even if, in a crisis, time permits consulting lawyers, compliant ones will be found: President Obama’s argued that the thousands of air strikes that killed thousands and demolished Libya’s regime did not constitute “hostilities.”The exigencies of crisis management in an age of ICBMs require speed of consultations, if any, and of decisions.And the credibility of deterrence requires that adversaries know that presidents can act in minutes. Furthermore, the authority to employ nuclear weapons is, as was said at the congressional hearing, “intertwined” with the authority “to take the country to war.”So, as a practical matter, President Trump can unleash on North Korea “fire and fury” without seeking the consent of, or even consulting, Congress. This, even if North Korea has neither attacked nor seems about to attack America. Rather, it would be a preventive war supposedly justified by the fact that, given sophisticated weapons and delivery systems, imminence might be impossible to detect.The long war on the primitivism of terrorists has encouraged such thinking. A leaked 2011 memo from the Obama administration’s Justice Department argued that using force to prevent an “imminent” threat “does not require … clear evidence that a specific attack … will take place in the immediate future.”So, regarding al-Qaida, the memo said that because the government might not know of all plots and thus “cannot be confident that none is about to occur,” any leader of al-Qaida or “associated forces” can be lawfully targeted at any time, without specific knowledge of planned attacks.It would be interesting to hear the president distinguish a preventive war against North Korea from a war of aggression.The first two counts in the indictments at the 1946 Nuremberg trials concerned waging “aggressive war.”George Will is a nationally syndicated columnist for The Washington Post who writes from a conservative perspective.More from The Daily Gazette:EDITORIAL: Thruway tax unfair to working motoristsEDITORIAL: Urgent: Today is the last day to complete the censusEDITORIAL: Beware of voter intimidationFoss: Should main downtown branch of the Schenectady County Public Library reopen?EDITORIAL: Find a way to get family members into nursing homes
Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
Länsförsäkringar, Trygg-Hansa, Assenagon, Quoniam Asset Management, S&P Dow Jones Indices, StoxxLänsförsäkringar – Johan Agerman has been chosen to succeed Sten Dunér, Länsförsäkringar’s chief executive, who is retiring in the course of this year, as already announced. Agerman is currently chief executive at non-life insurer Trygg-Hansa and is a member of the senior management of its parent, non-life insurance company RSA. He will take up his position at Länsförsäkringar next year. Agerman has had a number of roles within the RSA group over the last 14 years, including CIO, head of the private business division and senior positions in IT, telecom and media.Assenagon – Thomas Kramer has been hired to provide sales and institutional-client support for the Benelux and Nordic countries and Switzerland. He joins from Quoniam Asset Management, where he was responsible for institutional business development for German corporates and in other European countries. Before then, he worked within institutional sales at ratings agency S&P.S&P Dow Jones Indices – Eric Zwickel has joined the index provider as director of EMEA asset owners and consultants. Based in the London office, he joins S&P after nine months at Stoxx, where he was director and global head of asset owner and consultant relations. Prior to this, he spent four years as senior investment consultant at Towers Watson, and spent more than a decade working for KBL and its subsidiaries.
Egyptian Tanker Company and Singapore-based Thome Ship Management have pleaded guilty in federal court in Beaumont, Texas, to violating the Act to Prevent Pollution from Ships (APPS).The owner and operator of the 57,920 gross ton oil tank ship MT ETC MENA also pleaded guilty for obstruction of justice for covering up the illegal dumping of oil-contaminated bilge water and garbage from one of their ships into the sea, according to the US Department of Justice.The plea agreement includes a USD 1.9 million dollar penalty and requires marine and coastal restoration efforts at three National Wildlife Refuges located on the Gulf of Mexico in East Texas, where the offending vessel transited and made port stops.US Coast Guard’s Marine Safety Unit in Port Arthur, Texas, launched its investigation on April 26, 2016, when a crew member on the 809-foot long oil tanker provided a written statement, photographs, and video that the ship had illegally dumped bilge waste overboard into the ocean.In pleading guilty, the companies admitted that its crew members bypassed the ships OWS and discharged bilge water into the ocean in March 2016 without it first passing through this pollution prevention equipment. The government’s investigation also revealed that crew members were instructed to throw plastic garbage bags filled with metal and incinerator ash into the sea in March 2016.The companies also pleaded guilty to obstruction of justice for presenting these false documents to the Coast Guard during the inspection in Port Arthur, Texas.The shipping firms will be placed on a four-year term of probation that includes a comprehensive environmental compliance plan to ensure that all of ships operated by Thome Ship Management that come to the United States fully comply with all applicable marine environmental protection requirements established by national and international laws.
BACOLOD City – Mayor Evelio Leonardiais considering the creation of a body that will oversee and undertakebiosecurity measures against the entry of the novel coronavirus into the city. The Civil Aviation Authority of thePhilippines said security measures especially in Kalibo International Airport,which has direct flights from Wuhan. The Department of Health in WesternVisayas confirmed that this city has nothing to be alarmed of in relation tocoronavirus, as there were no reported cases. On Wednesday, the SangguniangPanlungsod passed a resolution enjoining the CHO and the City Disaster RiskReduction Management Office to take necessary assessment and precaution in thelight of suspected presence of coronavirus in the City of Cebu which wasdiscovered on Jan. 21. Airports across the country alsointensified defenses against the new coronavirus, with thermal scanners toincrease their surveillance on passengers coming in. The World HealthOrganization said that this particular strain of coronavirus has not beenpreviously identified in humans and the severity of the infection it causes isstill being studied. On Thursday, the Chinese governmenthad put Wuhan on lockdown morning, barring all forms of transportation in andout of the city south of Beijing. (With areport from CNN/PN) Fever, difficulty in breathing, cough,and cold are among the symptoms of this virus. “If it is necessary, we can form one,”said Leonardia, adding that the City Health Office (CHO) has already ramped upprecautionary measures to block the possible spread of the virusoriginating from Wuhan City, China where 17 people died and 500 others wereinfected so far. The death toll from the novelcoronavirus called 2019-nCov has risen to 17, as over 500 more cases werereported across China, the United States, South Korea, Thailand, Japan, Macaoand Taiwan, sparking fears of a possible pandemic,
WRBI Area Basketball Scores.Tuesday (2-3)Girls Scores.Batesville 54 South Ripley 34Greensburg 46 Jac-Cen-Del 39Lawrenceburg 40 Oldenburg Academy 35East Central 72 South Dearborn 15South Decatur 68 Milan 65Switz. County 52 SW Hanover 39Henryville 53 Shawe Memorial 32New Palestine 56 Connersville 47Knightstown 55 Waldron 32Morristown 81 Greenwood Christian 28Boys Scores.Northeastern 62 Franklin County 41
Gerald C. “Jerry” Harrison, 82, of Aurora, IN, formerly of Pickerington, OH, passed away Friday, May 6, 2016 in ,Cincinnati, OH.He was born Sunday, March 18, 1934 in Aurora, Indiana, Son of the late Charles Harrison and the late Rose Fiorito Harrison. Jerry was a 1952 Graduate of Aurora High School. Shortly after graduation he went to Columbus, OH to paint with his dad. Then joined the United States Navy.Jerrry worked as a Factory worker for Tomasco Machine parts, retiring after over 15 years of service. Prior to that Jerry worked for Continental Can Company and Rockwell International. He was a member of St. Mary’s Catholic Church and previously Seton Parish in Pinkerington, Ohio. Jerry was a homebody. He enjoyed being at home with his loving wife of 14 years Phyllis Harrison. They had a good life together and enjoyed antique car shows. Jerry had an orange 36 Ford pick up truck and not to be outdone, Phyllis had an orange Model T. They RV traveled to many different states and car shows. Jerry was truly a kind man and will be missed by all who knew him.Surviving are wife, Phyllis Harrison of Aurora, IN; Daughter, Holly Ann (Michael) Dunham of Pickerington, OH; Step-Son, Douglas Scott (Barbara) Hueseman of Aurora, IN; Brother, Rick (Launa) Harrison of Beverton, OR; Sister, Marcia Sims of Newark, OH; Grandchildren, Michael (Ashley) Hueseman, Brandy (Chris) Hueseman Miller, Amber (Fiancé, Josh Shipley) Hueseman, Ryan Hueseman, Jeannie (Stephen) Bell and Marshall (Amanda) Dunham; Great Grandchildren, Kaylee Marie Miller, Emily Elise Miller, Hunter Hueseman, Lucas Shipley, Nicholas Hueseman, Wade Shipley, Cooper Bell, Harper Bell, Maddan Dunham and Maddaks Dunham.He was preceded in death by his first wife of 42 years, Vonda Harrison and sister, Regina Snell.Friends will be received 5:00 – 8:00 PM, Tuesday, May 10, 2016 at the Rullman Hunger Funeral Home, Aurora, Indiana.Mass of Christian Burial will be held at St. Mary’s Catholic Church, Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 11:00am with Father Stephen Donahue officiating.Graveside services will follow at 3:30 pm, at the Violet Cemetery, 180 E. Columbus Street, Pickerington, OH 43147.Contributions may be made to the St. Mary’s Catholic Church or School. If unable to attend, please call the office at (812) 926-1450 and we will notify the family of your donation with a card.Visit: www.rullmans.com
“I had a good car tonight and hit some good, consistent laps,” he said. “We haven’t changed much on the car this year and kind of went with what we’ve been doing. I don’t have a lot of experience on half miles and thought we did a good job making adjustments from our heat to the feature.” The leader was quick to extinguish any late-race hopes, however, pulling away on the restart as 10th starting Casey Skyberg and Stinehart both drove by Beckendorf. The tour point leader’s latest victory came in just his 11th start in a new Rage ride. Feature results – 1. Ethan Braaksma, Newton, Iowa; 2. Casey Skyberg, Rapid City, S.D.; 3. Todd Stinehart, Waseca; 4. Brandon Beckendorf, Danube; 5. Ryan Bjerkeset, St. Peter; 6. Kyle Brown, Madrid, Iowa; 7. Kelly Shryock, Fertile, Iowa; 8. Corey Dripps, Reinbeck, Iowa; 9. Mat Hollerich, Good Thunder; 10. Benjamin Chukuske, Welcome; 11. Randy Brown, Chowchilla, Calif.; 12. Jeff Ignaszewski, Wells; 13. Lyle Sathoff, Sherburn; 14. Travis DeBoer, Fairmont; 15. Trent Loverude, New Ulm; 16. Cole Bents, Rushmore; 17. Garett Wilson, Carlisle, Iowa; 18. John Burrow, Denver, Colo.; 19. Chris Palsrok, Sibley, Iowa; 20. David Brown, Kellogg, Iowa; 21. Jason Brees, Meriden, Iowa; 22. Jesse Rogotzke, Sanborn; 23. Al Hejna, Clear Lake, Iowa; 24. Cody Blixt, Clancy, Mont.; 25. Nicholas Carpenter, Leavenworth, Kan. FAIRMONT, Minn. (Aug. 5) – Ethan Braaksma’s first visit to Fairmont Raceway ended with his third Speed Shift TV Dirt Knights Tour for IMCA Modifieds feature win of the summer. Braaksma started outside the front row and led all 25 laps Wednesday on the fast half-mile oval, earning $1,000 for his efforts. Beckendorf made up ground in a hurry as the front pair ran in heavy traffic. Braaksma’s challengers got the break they needed when the yellow came out again with five laps to go. Ryan Bjerkeset completed the top five. Ethan Braaksma won for the third time in five Speed Shift TV Dirt Knights starts this summer, when the tour for IMCA Modifieds traveled to Fairmont Raceway Wednesday night. (Photo by Jim Steffens) “I did not expect this. Corey Dripps has been working with me on this car and it’s been amazing. It just fits my driving style,” Braaksma said. “It’s crazy to race with all these guys who are so good. The competition is just unreal.” After an early caution, the Bob Shryock Memorial headliner ran green another 17 straight laps. Braaksma led by more than four seconds and was catching up with the back of the field when home track heavyweight and 12th starting Brandon Beckendorf passed Todd Stinehart for second, just before midway. Other winners Wednesday at Fairmont were Jeff Larson in the IMCA Sunoco Stock Cars, Keeran Sampson in the IMCA Sunoco Hobby Stocks, Jared Boumeester in the Karl Kustoms Northern SportMods and Bubba Brown in the Mach-1 Sport Compacts. All Dirt Knights races are broadcast by Speed Shift TV. The season finale and 100th event in tour history is Aug. 30 at Benton County Speedway. “We had pulled ahead coming to lapped traffic and I knew I had to pick up the pace a little bit,” said Braaksma. “I was pretty sure if I could hit my line perfect (on the final restart) it would work out for me.” The third and final Dirt Knights Tour event of the week is Thursday at Kossuth County Speedway. Pit gates open at 5:30 p.m. and racing follows 7 p.m. for the $1,000 to win Denny Hovenga Memorial race. Aug. 6 is also the final day for 2020 Fast Shafts All-Star Invitational ballot qualifying events to be held.
Local authorities say they have arrested a man they believe is the “Pillowcase Rapist,” who is blamed for attacking more than 40 women in South Florida during the early 1980s.Law enforcement officials have identified the suspect as 60-year-old Robert Eugene Koehler, a registered sex offender from Palm Bay.He was arrested on Saturday and is being held at a jail in Brevard County, awaiting transfer to Miami-Dade.The Pillowcase Rapist allegedly terrorized women in an area stretching from South Miami to Deerfield Beach between May 1981 and February 1986.Photo courtesy: Brevard County Sheriff’s OfficeUsing a pillowcase, towel or shirt in order to hide his identity, the rapist broke into town homes and apartments, attacking at least 44 women during that timeframe.This is a developing story.