You wouldn’t think it from the photo above but between this mob a total of THIRTEEN All-Ireland boxing titles were won. What makes it even more incredible is the fact that all the champions in the photo come from the one family! Gerard Gallagher (FIVE) Michael Gallagher (TWO) Christy Boyle (FOUR) Joe Harkin (ONE) and Marc McGee (ONE) all won All-Ireland titles out of the Dunfanaghy boxing club.Gerard Gallagher and brother Michael are first cousins with Joe Harkin, Marc McGee and Christy Boyle.They all won their titles under the stewardship of their uncle Eddie Harkin – so it really was a family affair.All the gang were together again for the first time in years at the wedding of Christy Boyle’s sister Diane. Diane flew back home from Australia to marry Inishowen man John Doherty whom she met Down Under.As you see can from the photo – the bride looked stunning on her big day and all the lads agreed she looked like a ‘knockout’.At the end of the night all the boys were in deep discussion at the possibility of a comeback with Rio just around the corner.It hasn’t been confirmed whether that will develop or not, as for now St Michael’s manager Eddie Harkin is fully focused on their championship campaign which gets back underway again next weekend. ALL-IRELAND CHAMPION BOXERS RECKON BRIDE IS A ‘KNOCKOUT’! was last modified: August 14th, 2015 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:newsSport
As part of a nationwide campaign, representatives of the National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (NREGA) Sangharsh Morcha and the Rajasthan Unorganised Labour Union on Thursday filed complaints for registration of First Information Reports (FIR) in more than 10 police stations in five districts of the State for non-payment of wages to labourers engaged under the Centre’s flagship scheme.The complainants said that the government’s failure to pay wages and ensure the basic NREGA entitlements to workers “amount[ed] to a crime”, according to the Supreme Court’s judgment of May 13, 2016. The complaints were filed against the Secretary of the Union government’s Department of Rural Development as the “main accused”.NREGA Sangharsh Morcha’s State convenor Mukesh Nirvasit said here that the complaints were drafted with the evidence of offences under Sections 374 (unlawful compulsory labour), Section 420 (cheating) and Section 116 (abetment of offence) of the Indian Penal Code. “We witnessed mixed reactions of the police. At one police station, the labourers were given receipt of the complaint, while the complainants were told at some other places that higher officers would be apprised of it,” he added.The complaints for registration of FIRs were submitted in Ajmer, Pali, Bhilwara, Dungarpur and Udaipur districts. Mr. Nirvasit said ₹778 crore were due for payment to labourers in these districts, while the fund transfer orders (FTOs) had not been processed since January 18 and the workers had been forced to wait for their wages.In a large number of instances, even the submission of job applications, remains an uphill task, and the work is not available within 15 days, as mandated by the NREGA. Labourers were being deprived of the NREGA entitlements, including timely payment of wages, work on demand, compensation for late payment and unemployment allowance because of lack of allocation of proper funds, Mr. Nirvasit said.The NREGA Sangharsh Morcha regretted that Union government had failed to send funds on time to the States for payment of wages to the hard hit rural workers. “On the other hand, the government seems to have plenty of money to fund bullet trains and compensate banks for non-performing assets (NPA) created by corporates,” stated the Morcha.Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot had last week requested the Centre to release ₹400 crore for the workers’ wages and ₹600 crore under the material component of the employment scheme to the State for the current financial year’s remaining period. “The delay in the release of payment of pending liabilities has had a cascading effect, leading to slowdown in the completion rate of assets being created under the programme,” Mr. Gehlot said in his letter to Union Rural Development Minister Narendra Singh Tomar.
Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games Prosecutor Dan Fisher said it was a coordinated mission and “orchestrated attack” after the victim sent text messages to the Morris twins’ mother that angered them.Defense lawyers insisted the twins did not participate in the attack and questioned the reliability and financial motives of the man who was beaten. The lawyer for Marcus Morris, Timothy Eckstein, said witness statements that form the basis of the case are “entirely inconsistent and incompatible with the truth.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSBoxers Pacquiao, Petecio torchbearers for SEA Games openingThe twin brothers face the possibility of prison time and discipline from the NBA, including a minimum 10-game suspension, if they are found guilty.The two-week trial also threatens to disrupt the start of their 2017 NBA season with training camp set to begin for both players on Sept. 26. Argentine bishop appears at court hearing on abuse charges Two of the other co-defendants pleaded guilty Wednesday to the same charges. That leaves the Morris brothers and one other defendant standing trial this week. The third defendant is Gerald Bowman, a former University of Southern California football player.Police say Hood was leaving a high school basketball game when he was approached by a friend of the Morris brothers. Hood told Phoenix police the man was speaking to him when he was punched in the back of the head.Hood ran to his car but fell down, before the men punched and kicked him repeatedly, authorities say. All five left in a Rolls Royce Phantom as bystanders began to appear.Hood provided an account of the attack as the first prosecution witness Monday, calling it “the most terrifying moment in my life.”He said Marcus Morris kicked him “relentlessly” and Bowman “just jumped straight up and landed on me with two feet.” Hood previously told police he was attacked by Markieff Morris, but recalled on the stand Monday that he later clarified his statement and said he could not be sure whether Markieff participated in the beating.Hood told police he suffered a fractured nose, abrasions and a large bump on his head.At the time of the attack, the 6-foot-9 Morris twins were teammates on the Phoenix Suns.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next FILE – In this Oct. 17, 2013, file photo, official Ron Garretson talks with Phoenix Suns forwards Marcus Morris center and his twin brother, Markieff, before the Suns’ NBA preseason basketball game against the Sacramento Kings in Sacramento, Calif. (AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli, File)PHOENIX — NBA players Marcus and Markieff Morris went on trial Monday on felony assault charges stemming from a 2015 beating that prosecutors labeled as an “orchestrated attack” and defense lawyers dismissed as a ploy to get money out of the athletes.Opening statements began with prosecutors saying the two NBA stars and three other men each had a role in a beating that left a former acquaintance with a broken nose and other injuries.ADVERTISEMENT Tyson Fury urges UK Anti-Doping for resolution Winter storm threatens to scramble Thanksgiving travel plans Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ MOST READ The Boston Celtics acquired Marcus Morris from Detroit in the offseason as part of an overhaul of their roster, while Markieff was a solid contributor for the Washington Wizards last year.The Morris brothers are accused of helping three other people beat 36-year-old Erik Hood, who has known the twins since they were promising teenage AAU players.In youth basketball parlance, Hood was known as a “runner” — someone who connects promising young athletes with representatives and agents in hopes of getting a cut of a lucrative NBA contract, Eckstein said.He said Hood viewed the Morris twins as his “lottery ticket” after they went onto a successful career at the University of Kansas. They had a falling out while the Morris brothers were at Kansas, and they were later drafted into the NBA.Defense lawyers don’t dispute that the beating took place, but they say the Morris brothers weren’t involved and believe Hood was trying to pin blame on them for financial gain.ADVERTISEMENT Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ ‘A complete lie:’ Drilon refutes ‘blabbermouth’ Salo’s claims View comments Hotel says PH coach apologized for ‘kikiam for breakfast’ claim Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Trump to designate Mexican drug cartels as terrorist groups No more menthol cigarettes: New ban on tobacco, vape flavors LATEST STORIES
Jaydev Unadkat was right in the middle of all the action from ball one itself as Rising Pune Supergiant took on Kings XI Punjab at Pune in a must-win game for both the teams to qualify for the playoffs. The lanky left armer took a wicket on the first ball of the match. He floated the ball full and outside off as Martin Guptill looked to go over covers but failed to keep it down. Manoj Tiwary easily caught the ball, and Unadkat’s joy new no bounds.In the fifth over of the innings he was back in action again. Unadkat inflicted a brilliant run out to send the Eoin Morgan back to the dugout.The Englishman probably thought he would test his luck against Unadkat, something which he should not have done. Morgan clipped the ball towards mid on and ran. Unadkat got to the ball and threw it quicky towards the bowler’s end. He hit the stumps directly to inflict another damage as Morgan was caught short of his crease.Unadkat was back in the thick of action again, this time by taking a spectacular catch. Rahul Tewatia pulled a short ball from Shardul Thakur, which met the palms of a diving Unadkat.The ball flew to the left side of Unadkat, who was standing at short fine leg. He ran towards the ball before diving and catching the ball to get rid of Tewatia for 4.The 25-year-old finished with figures of 2/12 from his three overs as Punjab were bowled out for 73.advertisementHe is now the second highest wicket-taker in this season’s IPL with 21 wickets from 10 games.Unadkat won the man-of-the-match for his wonderful bowling and stupendous fielding effort. He credited the team for performing as a unit which he said has helped him flourish.”It has been brilliant. We have been really good as a unit. The execution has been brilliant, does not happen often in a T20 game. If you see that has been there in the last 10-12 games, after we lost the first couple of games. We have been brilliant, and that has helped me,” Unadkat said in the post-match presentation.Unadkat went on to thank the seniors in the Pune outfit for helping him grow and also credited Shardul for his figures of 3/19.”The seniors have been terrific, they have helped us a lot. Not just me, Shardul too bowled well today,” he added.On being asked about his fielding effort, he said that he has developed his fitness for such a performance.”You don’t underestimate the power of a modern-day fast bowler (on his catching). We have worked on our fitness and that has been helping during matches.”Unadkat further said that even without Ben Stokes, who will be leaving for national duty, Pune will like to continue winning and beat Mumbai at the Wankhede Stadium in the first Qualifier on May 16.”Ben (Stokes) was an integral part, he is leaving tonight. That will be a big loss. But having said that we have won a game without him. The plan is to keep things simple. It will be brilliant to beat Mumbai in Mumbai.”Mumbai Indians will take on Rising Pune Supergiant in the firstQualifier on May 16, Sunrisers Hyderabad and Kolkata Knight Riders willbe up against one another in the Eliminator on May 17 and the Qualifier 2 will take place on May 19.