Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini regrets not signing an extra defender during the January transfer window. Press Association He added: “Also, last year he had this problem, for one month he didn’t play. This is a big problem. For me we did a mistake in this case. “We had a chance because we had one good defender but we didn’t think that Vinny would stay out for 40-45 days.” City have also been without two other defenders in Micah Richards and Maicon through injury but their only major transfer activity in January saw striker Mario Balotelli leave the club. Kompany’s prolonged absence has raised fears he may require surgery or miss the rest of the season but Mancini continues to play down the seriousness. He said: “He starts to run and we hope that he will be ready for Newcastle. “He started with us three or four days ago but he was tired because he worked a lot. His calf was tired but he didn’t have any problems. “But we don’t want to take a risk at this moment because we have one game and after it is the international break. It is better we wait.” Mancini wishes he had moved to bolster his rearguard after captain Vincent Kompany was injured in the FA Cup fourth-round win at Stoke on January 26. At the time City did not expect the 26-year-old’s calf problem to require a lengthy lay-off but he has not played since and Mancini feels his absence has been a “big problem”. Mancini said: “Probably we made a mistake because when we knew (of) this problem we were four days to (the) close (of) the market. Probably then we should maybe have bought another defender.”
ST. LOUIS – For almost 10 minutes in the second half, the player who had anchored Syracuse down low for the past 70 sat on the bench. Tyler Roberson wore his white long-sleeved warmup shirt in between assistants Adrian Autry and Mike Hopkins, a water bottle sitting between his legs as he watched Syracuse put away a game that he wasn’t a part of anymore.Right before he exited with 12:05 remaining in the second half, Roberson’s head collided with the floor after Tyler Lydon inadvertently mounted him when both contested a rebound. Roberson fell to his chest, turned over and winced while clutching his head.“Possibly, I mean I don’t know really,” Roberson said of why he sat for half of the second stanza, a smile spreading across his face. “…I’m good.”Even with the game well past decided in the waning minutes, Roberson re-entered with 2:45 on the clock and proceeded to finish a thunderous two-handed alley-oop. Less than a minute remained and his stat line was once again filled, the demands from Jim Boeheim for more consistency from the junior satisfied.His 12 points and nine rebounds in Sunday night’s 75-50 win against No. 15 seed Middle Tennessee State (25-10, 13-5 Conference USA) that helped propel No. 10 seed Syracuse (21-13, 9-9 Atlantic Coast) to the NCAA Tournament Sweet 16 followed a 10-point, 18-rebound domination from two days prior. All of a sudden, the player thrown in the doghouse by Boeheim less than a month ago has emphatically emerged from it.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text“When he plays like that, with that energy, we’re just a different team,” assistant coach Mike Hopkins said.Roberson picked up where he left off to start Sunday’s game, hitting all three of his shots in the first half and grabbing eight rebounds. His boards came in a variety of ways – one tipping a ball to himself at the peak of a scrum, one chasing after a loose ball by himself, one mounting Middle Tennessee’s Aldonis Foote before holding onto the ball with one hand and untangling the other.His makes also came of varying flavors, a left-handed tip-in, a pump-fake-and-lay-in and a mid-range jumper. He showcased versatility on both ends while manning the paint for the majority of a 20-minute span for the third consecutive half.“He’s capable of doing this night in and night out,” Tyler Lydon said.Roberson even hit all four of his free throws, the ball gently spinning off the edge of his fingertips and through the hoop each time. He was the only player on the team to make all of his attempts from the charity stripe on a night when Syracuse shot an abysmal 59 percent from the line.Since the offseason, Roberson has emphasized expanding his perimeter game. Check. Boeheim wanted more consistency on the glass. Check. After a 1-for-8 performance from the foul line against St. John’s in Syracuse’s worst loss of the season, he had to improve. Check.Roberson’s entire arsenal is materializing at just the right time on just the right stage. He’s had all these tools at his disposal, but he’s finally putting them to use all at once.“These last two games, that’s what we need out of him,” assistant coach Adrian Autry said. “That’s what we know he can do pretty consistently.” Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on March 20, 2016 at 11:26 pm Contact Matt: email@example.com | @matt_schneidman
Fans will be at Cowboys games this season, team owner Jerry Jones said Wednesday.In a conference call with reporters, Jones said the team will play games with fans in the stands at AT&T Stadium. MORE: Deion Sanders joins Barstool Sports after contract dispute with NFL Network Jones said fans will sit together in small groups.Jones also claimed that the structure of AT&T Stadium will help mitigate the spread of COVID-19, citing the venue’s “naturally built airflow” that he believes can help keep fans safe during the pandemic.Will fans get to watch games from inside AT&T Stadium this season? We’ll have to wait and see whether local and state authorities will go along with his plan.
If this were an ordinary college football season, the Heisman Trophy would be awarded to an extravagantly accomplished player — most likely a quarterback and almost certainly from a Power 5 program — on the evening of Saturday, Dec. 12.If you were not aware before Tuesday that this will not be a typical season, surely the postponement of college football competition in the Big Ten and Pacific-12 shook you awake. They joined the Mid-American Conference and Mountain West in removing themselves from fall sports and presenting the spring as an option. So what does the Heisman do if roughly half the players are active in the fall and the rest in the spring?Would it be awarded to those who compete in the fall? Would it be delayed so that any athlete who competes in the coming academic year has a chance? MORE: CFP director hopes four-team playoff can go on, despite cancellationsDo they saw the trophy in half, and present the base to one player and the stiff-arm to another?“Essentially, at this point in time, no decisions have been made,” Tim Henning, associate director at The Heisman Trophy Trust, told Sporting News.The winner of the 2020 Heisman, whenever it is awarded, would succeed LSU quarterback Joe Burrow and join one of the most prestigious, exclusive clubs in sports. It includes such legends as Cam Newton, Herschel Walker, Bo Jackson, Tony Dorsett and Roger Staubach.Ohio State quarterback Justin Fields is the lone returning finalist from 2019. If the award were presented in the fall, he would have no chance. It seems unlikely that he will compete if the Big Ten does pull off a spring season because of the proximity to the 2021 NFL Draft, but he has not indicated his preference. He is considered a first-round prospect even without another strong season for the Buckeyes.Henning said a decision about any alteration to the presentation of the 2020 award would be made by the Heisman’s nine-member board of trustees, which is chaired by Michael J. Comerford. They conduct monthly meetings to discuss matters pertinent to the award, and it would be possible to call an emergency meeting if warranted. “The Heisman Trophy presentation is aired on ESPN, so any decision in terms of a TV show would be made in conjunction with ESPN,” Henning told SN. “The board has not made any decision in terms of what Heisman 2020 is going to look like.”The decisions of the Big Ten, Pac-12, Mountain West and Mid-American all came within the past week. Conference USA was expected to make a determination Wednesday. The SEC, ACC, Big 12, American and Sun Belt all are cautiously moving forward with plans for fall competition, but there still is a chance any or all could abandon them.“As someone that works I college football,” Henning said, “we all want to see the game played. But at the end of the day, the health and safety of everyone involved is of paramount importance.”
Get out your corn brooms, your weed whackers and your hedge trimmers, and maybe make another visit to the garden centre near you.Fort St. John’s Communities in Bloom committee is encouraging local businesses and residents to do what they can to tidy up their properties ahead of a two-day tour of the community later this month.Provincial judges are set to tour the city when they arrive in town July 19 — and organizers are hoping to impress the judges on a category that hasn’t seen the friendliest marks in previous years.- Advertisement -“Tidiness (of the city) is the one area we have consistently received constructive feedback around,” said Karen Mason-Bennett.“We decided to just tackle it head on.”It’s been three years since Fort St. John has competed in the contest, which fetes the best looking communities on a provincial, national, and even international level.Advertisement The city is competing on a provincial level for an award, and Mason-Bennett says the city hasn’t been in a position to receive one over the last few years.Mason-Bennett says a little hard work and buy in from residents will go a long way in impressing the judges — pulling out weeds, mowing the lawn, sweeping the sidewalks, hanging a flower pot or two.“We’re of the mind… the community and things that make Fort St. John fantastic are the people that are here,” she said.Mason-Bennett says its just not the city that’s responsible for keeping the community looking clean and tidy.Advertisement “It’s not just the city’s job. There definitely needs to be some self-responsibility around those things. If the city was to do it all, our taxes would astronomical,” said Mason-BennettThe judges will arrive on Sun., July 19, and will be taken on a garden tour that afternoon organized by the local horticultural society.A barbecue with the judges will follow at the community gardens at 6:30 p.m. on 102 Avenue between the Church of Resurrection and the Fort St. John Medical Clinic. That is open to the public, Mason-Bennett says.“It’s an opportunity to come by and really explain what makes Fort St. John awesome in your world,” she said.“What makes a community a community, and how to thrive as a collective group. I think we do that in spades, it just not might be in the places people expect it to be.”Advertisement The judges will be taken on a tour of Fort St. John on July 20 before leaving the following day.“We expect some informal feedback as we truck around, but we’ll get a full mark up six weeks after they’re here,” said Mason-Bennett.The Northern Environmental Action Team and the North Peace Justice Society are spearheading the efforts, with sponsorship from Home Hardware and Urban Systems.