Owners of controversial El Monte Valley sand mine speak for first time Dan Plante, October 30, 2018 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsEL MONTE VALLEY (KUSI) – They didn’t want to be here. Not at all. They wanted to build a couple of golf courses and be good neighbors. But that fell through. “We’re not here to build a Sand Mine Empire. We wanted to build a golf course, but the Helix Water District took away our water rights,” says Sand Mine Owner Bill Adams.The road to the ‘El Monte Valley’ is a scenic one. It’s also a very complicated one. It started 20-years ago when Bill Adams and his investors “leased” 500-acres of land in the El Monte Valley. They were moving ahead with the golf course, when they hit a major obstacle.“They told us we could not use the ‘ground water’ and we’d have to pay going rates for city water. With the price of water going up and the number of golf courses going down, we decided to change our plans,” says Adams.As it turns out, that land is already ‘zoned’ for a mining operation. It has been for 70-years. “We’re not greedy, we just want to get some of our money back. We’ve already invested $40-million dollars in the project.”Tuesday was the last day to comment on the environmental impact report. It could be 8-months before the report is approved and the permits granted. “We plan to get in and out as fast as we can and we only plan on mining 15-20-percent of the land,” says Adams “We also have a plan to restore that land to create open spaces and horse trails.”That could be a while. The overall mining project could take 10-years to complete and another several years to restore. Threre are endangered species, ancient Indian burial grounds and an aquifer. “We have plans to be sensitive to all these issues,” says Adams.The locals simply are not buying. They plan to fight this project, even if it means throwing themselves in front of the heavy machines, when they start digging.RELATED STORY: Resident fight plans for sand mining in El Monte Valley Posted: October 30, 2018 Categories: Local San Diego News Tags: El Monte Valley FacebookTwitter Dan Plante Updated: 6:24 PM
Through the third quarter, transactions in the media, information, marketing services and related technologies sectors are down 70 percent over the same period last year, says an M&A report released Thursday by the Jordan, Edmiston Group.Overall, JEGI tracked 619 media deals through the third quarter this year, with a combined value $26.6 billion —down severely from $87.5 billion over 636 deals during the same period last year.Deal values during the period were down in 10 of the 11 industry sectors tracked by JEGI, with b-to-b magazine values falling 87.4 percent and consumer values down 95 percent. Deal values in the online media and technology category, totaling $7.7 billion, were down only 6.9 percent.The number of newspaper transactions was practically identical to the number this period as last (33 this, 31 last year) but deal value plummeted 93 percent to $936 million (was $13.3 billion in 2007). Newsletter publishing posted $153 million over 11 deals, and was the lone category to see a value increase (up 10.1 percent). Database information services was the most active category year-to-date with 36 deals (up 63.6 percent over 22 deals last year). Deal value in the category, however, was down nearly 60 percent.Declining deal value is indicative of the financial uncertainty in the U.S. and global markets. Private equity groups are holding onto their money, the report says, controlling $450 billion in uninvested capital worldwide.
WILMINGTON, MA — The Town of Wilmington seeks talented individuals to join the summer Recreation Department team for the following position. Employment application forms can be found HERE.Gate Attendants – approximately 10 – 15 hours per weekThe Gate Attendants enforce beach rules, check IDs and collect gate receipts.The Beach is open from 10:00 am to 8:00 pm from mid-June to mid-August. Gate Attendants must be available weekends.Working under the direction and supervision of the Beach Supervisor, duties include, but are not limited to: enforcement of beach rules, identification checks; and collection of gate receipts.Qualifications at time of application: Applicants must be at least 16 years of age. Hourly rate: $12.00Application process: Please submit an employment application form to: Karen Campbell, Recreation Director, Wilmington Town Hall, 121 Glen Rd., Wilmington, MA 01887, or electronically as a PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note “Recreation Employment” in the subject line.Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email email@example.com.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedTown Now Hiring Silver Lake Lifeguards & Gate Attendants For Summer 2018In “Government”NOW HIRING: Wilmington Rec Department Hiring For SEVERAL Summer PositionsIn “Business”NOW HIRING: Wilmington Recreation Department Hiring Tiny Tots & Kids Club Program Leaders This SummerIn “Government”
Comments Tags Netflix’s Marvel Defenders shows were all canceled. Sarah Shatz/Netflix The sprawling beast that is Disney has, it turns out, a downside. Jeph Loeb, chief of Marvel TV, suggested he’d been left out of the loop when it came to Netflix canceling its Marvel TV shows, following the streamer’s breakup with Marvel TV overlord Disney.”The hardest part was while the situation at Netflix of which I really can’t go into other than to say that we were blindsided and the things that were to come weren’t finished yet,” Loeb said in an interview with Deadline published on Monday.In 2017 Disney dropped the bombshell that it would be pulling all its movies from Netflix by 2019 and not renewing its contract with the streamer. While it got on with plans for its own mammoth streamer, Netflix went on to cancel its Marvel TV shows Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist and The Punisher. The heroes in the first four of those shows had formed the groundbreaking Defenders crossover miniseries in 2017.Outside Netflix, many streamers that share Disney corporate parenthood currently host Marvel TV shows. Two of those on different platforms will see another groundbreaking crossover: Cloak & Dagger on Freeform and Runaways on Hulu.Loeb touched on what Marvel TV looks for in a streamer relationship. “A lot of times the reason why Marvel lands on a platform is because of the people. When they get it, when they want us,” Loeb said.Red flags come in the form of big agendas.”I’ve been on the other side of that, I’ve been the writer producer, who’s tried to work with the network, and there’s a whole agenda that’s going on that you don’t know anything about, you’re just making your show,” said Loeb, who’s written for Smallville and Heroes.In talking about Marvel TV’s embrace of animated shows, including the idea of an animated Deadpool, Loeb brought up the Defenders and confirmed he was putting together a team of heroes again but in the world of animation. This band of misfits, including Howard the Duck, will be known as the Offenders and have a place on Hulu. Loeb also confirmed Ghost Rider and Helstrom projects are in the pipeline.One thing Loeb had to clear up is that Marvel Studios, not Marvel Television, is in charge of all those Disney Plus shows coming out, like Loki and Hawkeye. He did confirm Marvel TV is going to do shows with Disney Plus, but has no announcements for us yet.Netflix and Disney did not have a comment, while Marvel TV have not yet responded to a request for comment. 7 Share your voice TV and Movies 2019 TV shows you can’t miss 50 Photos Marvel Netflix
Investments by mutual funds (MFs) remained positive for five consecutive days till Sept. 1, coinciding with equity benchmarks reaching new highs on the back of bullish macroeconomic data and buoyant August car and two wheeler sales posted by companies.The trend is likely to continue as manufacturing and service sectors posted exponential growth during August, as evidenced by PMI data.Equity purchases by foreign institutional investors (FIIs) were also in positive territory for the week ended Sept. 2, according to data published by the National Stock Exchange.MFs were net buyers of equities from Aug. 26 to Sept. 1, peaking to a high of Rs. 809 crore on Aug. 31, the day the BSE Sensex hit a new 52-week high. This was on the back of Rs. 701 crore worth of Indian stocks purchased by them on a net basis the previous day. However, on Sept. 1, they almost sold as much as they bought, resulting in new purchases of Rs. 107 crore.The previous trading sessions of Aug. 26 and 29 saw MFs buying stocks worth Rs. 235 crore and Rs. 274 crore on a net basis.While manufacturing PMI for August was at a 13-month high at 52.6, services sector grew at an even faster clip to 54.7, highest since January 2013, according to IHS Markit Nikkei India PMI.”The service sector showed upbeat levels of performance in August. New business was the main driver of activity growth, even amid increased competition for new work,” said Pollyanna De Lima, economist at IHS Markit and author of the report.